Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i thought Ace-K was another name for splenda and that splenda would be in coke zero. but then someone else said that there is no splenda in zero. so what's the deal? how many sweeteners are there?!?

Ace K is Acesulfafe Potassium
    Splenda is Sucralose
    Both very different. Both sweet but both different tasting.

oh. i see.

so... basically... coke will have THREE versions of a "diet" cola.

1--diet coke (based on new coke with nutrasweet)
    2--diet coke with splenda (based on diet coke/new coke with splenda)
    3--coke zero (based on clasic... with ace-k)

is this b/c some people have allergic reactions to nutrasweet and splenda... and they just want to cover all the bases? hmm. i wonder.

either way... my guess is that coke zero will beat the pants off pepsi one... so long as it tastes good.

[ 06-05-2005, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

"either way... my guess is that coke zero will beat the pants off Pepsi one... so long as it tastes good."

That's like saying great sex is great as long as you are having sex. As of now the big players are giving us good foreplay and not enough sex. In time when it all hits the sheets, the winners stay and the losers are shown the door. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:

so... basically... coke will have THREE versions of a "diet" cola.

1--diet coke (based on new coke with nutrasweet)
    2--diet coke with splenda (based on diet coke/new coke with splenda)
    3--coke zero (based on clasic... with ace-k)

is this b/c some people have allergic reactions to nutrasweet and splenda... and they just want to cover all the bases? hmm. i wonder.

Actually, more than 3, because you still have the cafeine free versions, and then the fountain version of Diet Coke is made from Sacarin, because nutrasweet is unacceptable in fountains. And they still make Tab.

It has little to do w/ alergies. Its two different marketing ideas hitting the market at the same time. The Splenda version was because Splenda is a superior sweetener and KO was losing market share to Diet Rite because of it. The Zero version is because the diet market gains "converts" from the sugar market every year, and customers were telling KO that Diet Coke tastes less like real Coke than any other diet product does. Switching to Diet Coke involves a taste chance that does not exist for other brands.

The long run? As Splenda's patent runs out, it will just become Diet Coke, and the old version will die out. Zero has about a year to prove that there really is a core of loyal Coke lovers that will buy it, not at the expense of Diet Coke, but at the expense of Coke.

well, i agree with a lot of what was said above, EXCEPT... i doubt that Zero will taste good enough to compete with Classic... in any huge way.

in the end, if Zero tastes good... then coke will have 2 diet products competing with each other:

Diet Coke (with Splenda)... which tastes like "new" Coke (and Pepsi)... and, then...

Coke Zero... which tastes like Classic.

I guess, it's actually very smart. Diet Coke will be competing with Pepsi/Diet Pepsi/Pepsi One... and Coke Zero with Classic.

My guess is, Coke's market share of the "diet" market will increase.

Mark my words Diet Coke with aspartame will not loose much market share and continue be a big seller. A large number of Diet Coke drinkers will not nor can't change over to the updated products due to taste preferences.

[ 06-06-2005, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

gonna have to agree with mr. zabe..

i prefer regular diet coke to the new kind with splenda..

its good stuff, the diet coke with splenda..but regular diet coke is better IMO!

so... instead of having so many versions of diet coke... why didn't they just sweeten Zero with splenda?

that would've made everything a lot easier. [img]smile.gif[/img]

so, maybe, diet coke with splenda is really just an attempt to kill pepsi one. and steal new diet drinkers from pepsi (since it tastes more like pepsi than classic). and zero is supposed to grab classic drinkers who move to diet... er... zero. [img]smile.gif[/img]