Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A group of eight of us at work held a Orange Soda Taste Test. We sampled 2 oz. servings of ten different orange sodas:

Orange Crush
    Sunkist
    Tropicana Twister
    Fanta
    Boylan Bottleworks
    Stewart’s Orange & Creme
    Aranciata
    Barillitos (Tangerine)
    Safeway Select
    Orangette (Sam’s Club)

After the tasting, we each ranked out top 3 and bottom 3. There were two runaway winners for best, with Orange Crush coming out on top on 7 of 8 ballots with 4 #1 rankings, followed by Sunkist (7 of 8 with 1 #1) and Tropicana Twister (4 of 8 with 1 #1). Boylan and Stewart's each got one ballot with one first place ranking).

There was also a runaway winner for worst, with Sam’s Club Orangette coming in on every single bottom 3 ballot and with six last place votes. No surprise, since it was so dreadful (actually, when drunk seperately, I've found it halfway decent, but up against the others it's flaws shone through). In fact, one has to wonder what the two people who didn’t vote it last were thinking. They chose Aranciata, which admittedly is an acquired taste and came in next to last, followed by Safeway Select.

Next up this week: Colas. We are doing it as a blind taste test and have:

KP Coke
    Coke Classic
    Pepsi
    RC
    Jolt
    Cricket
    Soho
    Shasta
    Boylan
    With thousands of sodas available for the choosing, why drink just one or two?

No Nehi?

How about Red Rock cola.

Orange Crush is mighty tasty, if hard to come by in these parts.

It's a shame that Minute Maid Valencia Orange was such a short lived product, that was easily one of the best orange sodas around.

We wanted to keep it to sodas we could obtain locally without having to have them shipped in. Orange and Grape Nehi are two "hard finds" here in Central Maryland. I'll rarely see them (but never Nehi Peach) in some larger c-stores while traveling on the Eastern Shore or Western MD. I've never seen Red Rock cola here in MD.
    With thousands of sodas available for the choosing, why drink just one or two?

Originally posted by Acheron:
    Orange Crush is mighty tasty, if hard to come by in these parts.

It's a shame that Minute Maid Valencia Orange was such a short lived product, that was easily one of the best orange sodas around.
    Every fareway (over 80 stores) in Iowa carries Orange Crush.

Originally posted by treetoptom:
    Orange and Grape Nehi are two "hard finds" here in Central Maryland.
    If you want to drive to VA, there is a distributor that services the north Shenandoah valley. Blue Ridge Beverages buys Nehi from IBC in Charlotte. I have seen cans and 20oz near Staunton and Harrisonburg, but it's been a couple of years.

Their Waynesboro VA warehouse is (540) 941-3730.
    90 years of Cheer...1917-2007

They sold all their soda rights to Dr Pepper of Staunton when they merged with Dod Distributing.They discontinued Nehi because they already sell Sunkist and Welch's.

Every fareway (over 80 stores) in Iowa carries Orange Crush.
    Really? My girlfriend will be pleased to hear this. We were resigned to get Crush when we visited friends in WI.

I've had Orange Crush before and wasn't a big fan, but I'm willing to give it another shot. Although for the most part I don't bother with non-caffeinated soda. If I'm going to have pop, it's gotta have some bang...

-HM
    "I see a Hollow Man, gun in hand, it points my way." - The Cult

Fanta!
    I was surprised to read it wasn't at the bottom of the list. I take issue with Fanta, and not just their orange.. the last time I was so quick to reject a beverage based just on my own taste was when we tried Ski. Yikes!