Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone know where to find Hires Root Beer in the New Jersey / New York City area? I've seen it down near Philadelphia, but not up in Northern NJ so far.

Good question. I used to live in northern NJ, and I don't remember seeing Hires up there. Most of the Hires in the northeast is produced by Polar Beverages and resold by small distributors. I know who the distributors are for the Philadelphia and Baltimore markets, but other than that, I'm not sure.

Some stores get it directly from their warehouse. I am not 100% sure, but Weis Markets MAY be one of them. They have two locations in New Jersey -- Flanders (on US 206) and Franklin (on NJ 23).

Good luck.

I have not seen Hire's Root Beer in over 10 years.

Try Massachusets. I think Cropac bottles Hires.
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12

Cropac is Polar.

They sell Hires to Atlantic Beverages in the greater Baltimore area and Superior Beverages in the greater Philadelphia area.

Originally posted by dr pepperman:
    Try Massachusets. I think Cropac bottles Hires.
    thanks, i will.

Independent Beverage Corporation out of Charlotte does Hires. I've seen them in RC Winchester territory.

I know in some ABC areas I've seen a special section especially in Altoona, PA for Hires and Crush. Wal-Mart and Weis carry it there, so maybe see where that comes from. The caps say ABC so you may be able to find it some places.

I also mentioned that on my road trip I saw Hires that was canned by Abarta. I also recently saw Frozen Run Birch Beer that was canned by Abarta, in their BH (Betlehem, PA) plant. I now think that is the same code I saw on the Hires 6pk cans this summer.

The Frozen Run I saw was being distributed by Davis, who is a 3rd tier bottler of the main DPSU products in eastern PA.

It's odd how a company produces something that they don't even sell in their own territory. But then again, we've seen that with CCE's Indy plant and the Mello Yello flavors.

Hires really isn't on anybody's radar in the mid-atlantic, and it's been relegated to being spottily distributed by small 3rd/4th tiers. Usually produced by Polar, but sometimes by ABC, Abarta, or Independent.

The 4th tier in the Baltimore area distributes it in 6pk 20oz, which I believe is produced by ABC. They sell 2L from Polar, though. Whoever was distributing it in southern/central Delaware went out of business or was kicked out of stores, so I don't really know anything about them.

Superior Beverages is still going strong in the greater Philadelphia area. You can find 2L and 12pks at most of the Genuardis stores in this area. They also have the Diet Rite flavors, Crush, Vernors, and so on.

They have the most leeway with the indie grocers, so that is where you'll usually find the best variety. There's a Shop N Bag just south of Philadelphia, exit #2 on I-95 (Aston). They have 8 feet of shelf space, with 2L and 6pk cans. They also have a few shelves of longnecks. Last time I was there they had Jolt cans, and Cheerwine and Diet Cheerwine cans and 2L.

We are crawling with it here
    Drink soda in Glass Bottles,the way the little guy lays the smackdown on big 2\'s plasta-paradise.

Huh...
    That just shows ya how some beverage distributors are about certain beverages. I have, in my lifetime only driven as south as Myrtle Beach, SC. and as far north as Roanoke, VA.
    In this stretch, Myrtle Beach is the ONLY place I've seen Hires. It used to be available in Greensboro, NC, but it was discontinued. We had loads of special requests for it in the grocery store I worked in, but our distributor wouldn't get it back. Oh well. I'm more of a Barq's man anyway....and I have to drive 2+ hrs. to Roanoke just to get some cans of it!!!!
    Keep me posted about any Sparkling MISTICs!!!