Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First I will be traveling from East Lansing, Michigan to Oxford, Ohio.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?mo=ma&2si=gaz&1gi=0&un=m&go=1&2gi=0&1c=Ea st%20Lansing&1g=xNd9FfORW%2bw%3d&2tabval=address&1 l=8IDCeZU3seY%3d&2c=Oxford&1da=%2d1%2e000000& 1rc=Z1XAA&1n=INGHAM%20COUNTY&cl=EN&2g=PDDkuqgtAIY% 3d&1s=MI&2l=kTcKA5TY6Eg%3d&ct=NA&1v=ZIP&2n=Butler& 1y=US&1tabval=address&1z=48823&1si=gdt&2s=OH&2da=% 2d1%2e000000&2rc=A5XAX&2v=CITY &did=1109516419&2y=US&rsres=1&ovi=1

From this map, it looks as if I am not too far from Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio.

I think I know what Indiana has to offer. Big Red Creme Soda, and other than that, not too much.

From Oxford, Ohio, I will be traveling to New Brunswick, New Jersey (Rutgers) to visit several friends that go to school there. This is a route I've never done before. I will take North I-71 towards Columbus, and then East I-74 through Zanesville and Wheeling. It looks like Harrisburg gets a little tricky because I gotta jump onto US-11 in between I-76 and I-81. Then I will pass by Allentown on I-78, passing through Hamburg and Fredericksburg. Finally, I'll get into Jersey.

Here's the map of this: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?mo=ma&2si=gaz&un=m&go=1&1c=Oxford&1g=PDDk uqgtAIY%3d&2tabval=address&1l=kTcKA5TY6Eg%3d&2c=Ne w%20Brunswick&1rc=A5XAX&1n=Butler&cl=EN&2g=zQ G89MZi8RE%3d&1s=OH&2l=NPiM3grgfU0%3d&ct=NA&1v=CITY &2n=Middlesex&1y=US&1tabval=address&1si=gaz&2s=NJ& 2rc=A5XAX&2v=CITY&did=1109516643&2y=US&rsres=1&ovi =0

You can make it interactive and sort through the directions. I don't know the area well so I was wondering what would be some good places to find abnormal drinks - Non CCE or PBG favorites. Maybe some Canada Dry flavors or other bizarre stuff. Also, I'm willing to bring out any Michigan stuff that no one else can find: Stroh's beer, Vernor's, Orange, Strawberry, Pineapple, Cherry, Grape, Tropical Fruit Crush in the 16oz bottle. We also have Nesbitt's and Frosttop Rootbeer in the 16oz glass bottles as well. Plus Faygo, if people so desire.

Anyway, send me emails or private messages. I'll be leaving on the 4th of March.
    woot woot

I also forgot to say, I'll more or less be taking I-80 back from New Jersey to I-69, South of Lansing, Michigan. Anyone know of anything good along the I-80 corridor worth stopping for?

Also, if anyone's got any traffic tie-up hints or constant jams with alternate routes around them, I'd be more than happy to hear about em. I haven't been in some of these areas ever driving, and others it's been a few years.
    woot woot

I don’t know of any interesting products you could find in New Jersey but you will be a stones throw from New York City and there you never know what you will find. If you are coming this far east you must go to NYC.
    You may be able to find some interesting stuff in some of new jerseys ethnic communities.
    Then again I’m used to seeing the products we have here and these are no longer interesting to me. You may have items where you like that mean nothing to you but I might think is cool. Then again maybe not.

My random thoughts...

Your first trip will leave you about 30 minutes from Jungle Jim's. Well worth the trip.

You're going to be too far north to find the Canada Dry flavors. They're only in the Philadelphia area, plus Delaware and southern NJ.

Along the I-80 corridor going back, you'll pass through Crystal Soda Water territory in eastern PA. I'm not sure what they are currently carrying, but I do remember Cherikee Red, 50/50, and other odd stuff.

You should also be able to find Frozen Run clear birch beer.

Is there anything you are specifically looking for? I am somewhat familiar with eastern PA and New Jersey.

On 80 when you're near the PA/OH border, you'll be pretty close to Paul's Beverages home in New Castle. I wonder if they have better representation in that area.

I agree with Lepke.. lots of ethnic communities in NJ, and plenty of odd imported stuff to be found.

in Northern NJ, Pepsi should still have the Schweppes Dry Grape Ale. The area you are going to is also home to Briar's, so it should be plentiful in the stores.

If you can, I'd suggest making a short side-trip and stop at a Wegmans. Probably the closest you'll get is the one in Allentown. Take 309 North off of I-78, right on West Tilghman.

http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLo...p?store_nbr=79

They have stuff in the organic/natural section, plus stuff in an ethnic section.

If you haven't tried it.. you'll be passing through/by some strong Yuengling territory in PA.

I'm not sure if you're an iced tea fan, but you should also be able to find Turkey Hill iced tea when you get further into PA. It's brewed and packaged just outside of Lancaster PA. My favorite right now is their lime tea. It's in the refridgerated section in stores.

Non beverage related.. When you're in Ohio, you'll have to get some Mike-Sells potato chips. They are awesome! Fried in peanut oil. I like the green onion flavor.

http://www.mike-sells.com/index.html

Other than that, I can't think of anything interesting you'll find. All the independents are all but gone from this area. Keystone Coke (Herb) is now CCE, West Penn Nehi in PA sold out to DPSUBG. PBG controls all of PA and most of NJ. Abarta Coke is in the Allentown area, but they don't run anything unusual. Canada Dry is either Davis or Honickman once you hit eastern PA.

Thanks guys. yeah it's difficult to say exactly what i can and cannot get here that you guys can, but there really isn't that much diversity. there's a fairly large mexican population in michigan so mexican sodas aren't hard to find, but i'll try and just **** around. I will probably be stopping in pottsville PA. my distributor here is picking up Iron City brewing company, so I don't have to bring any of that back. We may day-trip it down to philly, not sure yet, so if that's the case, then i will look out for Philly Coke/Honickman stuff.

Thanks again fellas.
    woot woot

If you go to some of the ghetto neighborhoods in New York and maybe in New Jersey you will find G&D Jamaican style sodas including one called Ting like a strange citrus.
    Then there is Tropical Fantasy soda made by Brooklyn bottling (real ghetto stuff) they also make juice, juice drinks and teas an such under the brand name Squeezers (I think I spelled it right).
    If I can think of any thing else I post it.

Oh yea I almost forgot…. Plenty of Mexican soda around here. Coke Pepsi fanta but you must have illegals (I mean undocumented workers, have to be PC) there too.

Look for the Coke plant in Hamburg.
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12

It's easy to get to. Just take Exit #29 off of I-78. Go south on PA 61.. Mid-Atlantic Canners will be on your left. It's smack dab in the middle of CCE territory.

isn't there a facility in zanesville as well?
    woot woot

Zanesville facility closed. No need for it after Keystone Coke was bought by CCE.

As for Western Pennsylvania, if you're going through I-70, Kroger off Mt. DeChantal Rd. (Exit 2B - Washington Ave.) has a good indicator of what Pittsburgh has for the most part. However, hit Giant Eagle in Washington (next to Target on Rt. 19). I believe they have Cherikee Red. I can't remember for sure, but Cherikee Red is in many Giant Eagles, ones I hit this weekend.

Tom Tucker's Mint Ginger Ale is around Pittsburgh still too. I saw it Sat. (2/26) at the Shop n Save off 22/30 in Imperial, just west of Pittsburgh. However, it's the only store I saw it in (I have seen it at Giant Eagle in Greensburg before).

I know the Pittsburgh area inside and out, and other than stuff from ABC, there's nothing much interesting there. Barq's Red Creme Soda is carried in most Giant Eagles in 2L now, as well as Fridge Packs.