Bevboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Talking Barq's Red Cream Soda on tap in Chicago

I was surprised to find Barq's Red Cream on tap and refillable at Pompeii Bakery in downtown Chicago. They have a few Chicagoland locations, some have waiters and some are fast food. The one I went to is on Dearborn. They have a website. Their pizza and salad is good. The Loop locations were only open 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. but I would think other locations might serve dinner.

Barq's Red Cream is mostly available in Western Pennsylvania as is Big Red, Diet Big Red, and Dad's Red Cream. Coverage is spotty in some areas, so if you can't find it in one place, it is available in another. Barq's Red Cream (and Tab) is one of the only non-mainstream Coke products Western Pennsylvania has.

Sheetz Convenience Stores has it in 20oz
    Some Walmarts have it in 12 packs and 2 Liters
    Some grocery stores have it, as I said, coverage is spotty

Like every other red cream soda, Barq's has this "taste" to it. I can see how people can say it is bubblegum or citrus, but is that really it?
    Last edited by Tech_Guy; 02-18-2008 at 04:20 PM.

I've never even heard of Red Cream. Does it taste like Root beer?

Far from it. Red Cream doesn't even taste like regular clear, caramel colored, or blue cream sodas.

Faygo has "Rock & Rye" which is a red cream of sorts. They call it a "Cream Cola" (I am sure I am misspelling Cream here). So that bubblegum/citrus "taste" present must be a cola taste (??) I am not sure. But it is different tasting. The best way I can describe the taste is a bubblegummish-citrus taste added to a vanilla cream soda.

Of all the red creams I have ever tried, Faygo's Rock & Rye seems to have the definitive red cream soda taste. Following that seems to be Barq's, Dad's, then Big Red. I find Big Red too bland to be even drinkable. This is just my opinion, everyone's tastes are different. This list is just my interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcbet View Post
    Does anyone know the closest place to find Barq's Red Creme Soda to the Washington DC area? I love Red Creme, and grew up on Fanta, and know it's no longer available, and the only substitute I've found so far has been Big Red and Arq's, but they are next to impossible to find in the DC area. Any help is appreciated!!
    yeah, one place that had it in the past was in bethesda, md, its a woman's market that is on wisconsin and old georgetown that has a lunch line and one place in there sells it in cans. the next closet place would be to take rt 66 out towards front royal, va and there are a few supermarkets out there that carry it in fridgepacks - you can also get cheerwine and mello yello --last i did this drive was a year ago so id make some calls first

Quote Originally Posted by ilikesoda View Post
    yeah, one place that had it in the past was in bethesda, md, its a woman's market that is on wisconsin and old georgetown that has a lunch line and one place in there sells it in cans. the next closet place would be to take rt 66 out towards front royal, va and there are a few supermarkets out there that carry it in fridgepacks - you can also get cheerwine and mello yello --last i did this drive was a year ago so id make some calls first
    If you can remember the names of any locations it would be appreciated. I'm willing to make the drive to get a few cases for the summer.

Default Barq's best creme soda?

I am a HUGE fan of Barq's-- it's the BEST root beer, and back in the mid-80's they had "Barq's Blue Creme Soda" which I still can not fathom why it was discontinued. No other blue cream soda has ever measured up to Braq's concoction.

Anyone ever see Barqs red in Kissimmee florida?

Naah, you'd have to go west to find it. Maybe MS? LA?

Big Red is sold down here but that is bitter compared to Barqs