Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just put up my review:

Jones Holiday Soda 2005 hits stores, taste like ass.

In 2003, Jones Soda came out with Turkey & Gravy soda. In 2004, there was a series of 5 flavours in their Holiday Pack: Mashed Potato, Turkey & Gravy, Fruitcake, Cranberry, and Green Bean Casserole Soda. Right before Halloween we're seeing Jones Soda's 2005 Holiday Pack, which tastes as bad (if not worse) as reviews paint their 2004 pack. They're only available at Target stores in limited quanity.

I drove to two target this friday, they weren't stocked yet. Saturday, I go to another after they just were put on shelves. Of the 15 available, I picked up 5. One to drink, some to give away, and others to sell in a couple months to recoup the total 55 bucks spent (11 a pack). I'd have taken pictures of my 5 packs and each bottle, but my room's a mess and I can't find batteries. Here's a picture uploaded by a bevnet member:

Brussel Sprouts Soda: The smell is similar to what happens when you don't take your trash out, like mold. The taste is probably what would happen if you tried drinking the condensation that built up at the bottom of the bag. It's really that gross. Really salty tasting too. Definitely the worst product I've ever had. 0/10

Cranberry Soda: I've had cranberry juice plenty of times, and held out hope that Jones was gonna come through and ensure a couple (along with Pumpkin Pie) of their sodas made up for the high price of each pack. Bevnet had last year's at a 3.5/5, which isn't a half bad rating. After the assault from Brussel Sprouts soda, I guess this is better, but it's not good. It tastes like a poor diet soda version of what carbonated cranberry juice should taste like. I'd probably go with a 2/10.

Turkey & Gravy: It smells like a sweet gravy. Thicker consistency than a typical soda, and tastes like it smells (not always the norm with Jones products), a splenda-infused gravy soda. Definitely gross, but midrange in comparison to all 5. I guess this is a 1/10.

Wild Herb Stuffing Soda: The smell is way better than the taste. Smell is a peculiar sweet smell, and actually gives you hope which the taste quickly takes away. It tastes pretty similar to salt water, but specifically the salt water you're forced to swallow when you get knocked over in the ocean by a wave. Oh, and with a little splenda. Blech. 1/10.

Pumpkin Pie Soda: Very similar smell to actual pumpkin pie. Taste: Not so much. This is, I guess, what a diet pumpkin soda would taste like - but I've never had pumpkin pie soda before. I'd like to blame this and cranberry soda's failure on how Jones made all the flavours diet (0 calories) and both clearly taste like a shadow of what the original might taste like. It's the second best of the batch, which says very little when the best is below drinkable. A 2/10 at best.

Overall, if you're gonna buy these - buy them to give away or resell months from now on ebay. 11 bucks for 5 drinks, all well below drinkable and one (Brussel Sprout) that is groundbreaking in horrible taste makes them a bad idea otherwise. Oh, and they're donating a portion of their sales (100,000 minimum) to St. Jude's Hospital, which I guess is probably a better charity than sponsering skateboarders.

[ 12-19-2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: sodablog ]
    <a href=\"http://www.soda-blog.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.soda-blog.com</a>

Did you realize that when you put all of your ratings together you gave them a 6 out of 50? That should explain to everyone how absolutely putrid these drinks are. I would taste one of those drinks unless someone paid me a decent amount of money to taste it. Why would they even waste their time and money creating yucky stuff like this?

it's a novelty you guys. it's a novelty. they are not made for mass consumption, or consumption at all. it's a novelty. just go drink your last can of surge you saved when you popped out of your mothers womb in 1998 and leave the thinking to the rest of us.
    woot woot

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia/ Frederick, Maryland

I still think they are cool, and I really don't like Jones soda at all. So I won't be let down if they taste bad! But hey, Those particular drinks are for fun showing to others, not for drinking.

It just doesn't make sense to make pop like these flavors that are gonna be bought for show and not to drink. I mean I can understand if a Special Edition bottle or something comes out like that. It just seems like a waste of money to me. That is just my opinion though. Maybe I don't understand the purpose of Mashed Potatoes and Gravy flavored pop.

Originally posted by iluvsurge220:
    It just doesn't make sense to make pop like these flavors that are gonna be bought for show and not to drink. I mean I can understand if a Special Edition bottle or something comes out like that. It just seems like a waste of money to me. That is just my opinion though. Maybe I don't understand the purpose of Mashed Potatoes and Gravy flavored pop.
    if you can understand a special edition bottle, with a different label and the same ingredients on the inside, then take that concept and apply it to flavors. jones has done a lot of limited run flavors in the past, and doesn't feel that bad about disco'ing flavors either.

jones received so much publicity last year for it's thanksgiving holiday packs that there should've been no doubt they'd try to top themselves again this year.
    woot woot

Well I guess that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it.

Oh, it's definately for the publicity as much as anything else. However, when I think about it, I wonder how valuable this publicity really is. Sure it gets the Jones name out there, but... will the result be that people will associate that name with horrible tasting gimmick soda pop? Will that encourage sales of their normal, more palatable product line? It wouldn't with me.

andy
    Give me some cane sugar Pepsi in a glass bottle!!

Originally posted by Android:
    Oh, it's definately for the publicity as much as anything else. However, when I think about it, I wonder how valuable this publicity really is. Sure it gets the Jones name out there, but... will the result be that people will associate that name with horrible tasting gimmick soda pop? Will that encourage sales of their normal, more palatable product line? It wouldn't with me.

andy
    I thought about this for the last couple days and I think I agree. Yes, it's a cool novelty gift, but it seems the limited editions could be a double-edge sword if they insist on putting out poor tasting products. It helps people get to know Jones Soda and it also let's their fans rally around something "neat" that they're putting out, but as people come to know what Jones Soda is (they just hit Target a year ago?) they might associate Jones with gross flavours.

Jones relies a lot on gimmicks: Special labels, limited edition sodas, retiring sodas, weird flavours. So their marketing is pretty great, but once you buy the soda they actually have to taste good to keep up sales.

For me, only Jones Vanilla Cola, SF Root Beer, and Cream Soda are worth purchasing again. Even then, I can come up with a competitor that is better than and more accessible than the Jones products (Pepsi Vanilla, Diet Barq's, Jamaican Creme (a local favourite)).

Before hitting submit I guess I should acknowledge that buyers are asking for gross flavours when they buy Brussel Sprout soda - but that doesn't mean they didn't hold out hope for their two decent sounding products - Cranberry and Pumpkin Pie. Neither tasted good at all IMO.
    <a href=\"http://www.soda-blog.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.soda-blog.com</a>

hey im 17 and i love soda alot too

i didnt know you can get samples of soda, how does this work?