Bevboard

Thread: vegan beer

are guinness and corona vegan? i hope so, because i enjoy said beers. i don't know if you guys would know anything about that, but sometimes they use the swim bladders of fish in the beer making process, and i'm not down with that. Also, if anyone has a list of other vegan beers, i would appreciate it.

As i post in an unpopular forum in which nobody will reply to me.

guiness is not vegan. guiness uses real cowhide to filter it's beer somewhere in the process. a vegan told me that. i think vegan's (even one's in ohio) are dumb because, well, the animal's dead already, you might as well use whatever's left. you've been enjoying guiness all this time, imagine how many cows are making you drunk? my god, you must feel terrible now...

as for corona, all i know is that the intake pipe for the corona plant is two miles downriver from the outtake pipe for the GM plant that makes all chevu suburbans and tahoes...it's not animal, but it's still disgusting...mainly because it's mexico.
    woot woot

well, perhaps you should do some reading; i am not dumb and there was really no need to insult me. but i'm not going to discuss all that here, it's pointless. i'm not going to tell you how to live your life or change the way you are, and i'd appreciate not to be looked down upon for who i am and the lifestyles i choose.

I do, however, appreciate that you answered this.

I performed a Google search and found this. It looks like you may have a tough time finding a "true" vegan beer (unless you brew it yourself).

The sugar issue is really a non-issue. Virtually all international and national vegan groups have discounted the bone char issue, for good reason. What bone char is is carbon. One a few countries produce bone char carbon. Bones are gathered from mountains and deserts (not slaughterhouses) that have been sun bleached and dried (to the point they are like drift wood) they are then fired to a temperature of over 2,500 degrees to the point that the bone is turned into carbon. In the sugar process the liquid can is filtered through a carbon filter to take out impurities and patricles. None of the carbon enters into or becomes part of the final product. Also, a majority of the sugar in the U.S. is Beet sugar not cane and it is not processed. So unless it specifically says cane sugar there is a good chance they used beet sugar anyhow (cheaper) The reason bone char carbon is not really an issue is several fold- One, there is no issue of animal cruelty, two, it is no longer an "animal product" in that it has changed composition, three, there is little difference between this process an organic farmers who use bone meal or shell fertilizers and blood based pesticides- would those organic vegetables now not be vegetarian? Finally, most cities use carbon block filters in their water treatment process and I have not found one who will certify that those filters are not bone-char carbon. So if it is still an issue--don't drink water either.

Shawn

well lets see. beer consists of water barley yeast and hops. and none of them use animals or animal parts in the process. i dont think there would be any reason to.ive been on many brewery tours and i dont recall the part of them adding fish parts or saying "heres where we filter the beer through cowhide" i really think that your friend may have gotten some bad advice or someone was pulling his/her leg. if you still need answers i may suggest you going to the website of the beer/s you are concerned about and send them an email questioning them how its made or whats in it. they love to hear from people

Pete, you would be suprised at what's in your food and beverages that you do not know. Just for fun--- go to google.com and search "beer fining" and let me know if you learned anything new. Next we'll talk about cochineal food coloring.

shawn2,
    you learn something new everyday. i went to the website and checked it out. all i coud say is that i'm glad that i'm a beer drinking carnivore.

Originally posted by shawn2:
    Pete, you would be suprised at what's in your food and beverages that you do not know. Just for fun--- go to google.com and search "beer fining" and let me know if you learned anything new. Next we'll talk about cochineal food coloring.
    shawn2, i searched cichineal food coloring on google and shame on tropicanna. if you have any other info for me let me know (about the food and beverage industry). i'm always open for learning.

Sure, there is a ton of yucky stuff in food. Whether you are vegan, vegie, or omnivore it is good to know what they put in food. I'll have to think of some of my favorite stuff and send you some links.

Shawn