Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jones has talked long and hard about there creativeness on the changing labels and the idea that the consumer will buy into the idea that it's the label people drink? if I have one with my picture on it do I really need another?

Let's be real people the truth of the matter is it's what's in the bottle that brings us back and gets us excited about a brand and creates an emotional connection. If we skip on quality and continue to dupe the public it will come out in the wash sooner than later.

I agree with Danny. My New Years resolution is that I will speak with my wallet and those brands that continue to dupe us and KO included will no longer get my hard earned cash.

The bevboard declaration of Independence!

Obviously the logo will have a big influence on what we buy. The only jeans I still buy are Levis Silver Tabs. The only drink I order in a resturant is Diet Coke. When looking on a stores shelf, if something new has cought my eye, and it does not look cheap or to much of a rip off me too drink, Ill give it a try. Yeah, that is what got Jones Soda off the shelf, that is what made Whoop Ass sell for the first year. But if you don't have anything inside your drink worth comming back for, your novelty package will get you a few buys from a customer, and then they will move on.

Silver tabs may be the only brand that you buy not because they are silver tabs in the end it's because they fit your ass the best and diet coke is the only drink you'll have because it's the one your pallet enjoys best.

One more point to note specifically to you Ron. I have heard you speak of Jones (colors, flavors and glass bottle) image like they created the category and everyone to follow or that has something similar as a rip off (colors, flavors and glass bottle). These flavored sodas have been around for a bizillion years. Jones merely put a new dress on an old classic and called it new and innovative. It's not how we dress our kids but how they behave in which we are judged as guardians of there character.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia/ Frederick, Maryland

To an extent people do buy things because of brand recognition and not because the product is better than the rest in some way. Take Coke for example. The impression I have always had is that people drink Coke because it is Coke. The Cola Wars show that was on the History Channel this morning kind of reinforced that. Coke looses out in blind taste tests (according to the show), but most people still choose to buy Coke. Stupid. There are much better colas. Red Rock for one. A lot of this has to do with advertising of course. Look at all these small Soda companies: Cool Mountain, Stewarts, Boylans, IBC, Sprecher, etc... etc.... Their products kick ass all over Coke and Pepsi, but what do most people go after? Coke and Pepsi. People do drink the lable in a lot of cases.

So then yeah, we buy for the package. Jones, as I stated, and it was restated, yeah its soda flavors with a new look to them. So people bought it for the package. But you still need something inside of it all. My levis Silver Tabs I bought because they were levis and I liked the style, and they hold up and last, so thats all I buy. I will always choose a Coke product over Pepsi cause that is the brand that I like and relate with. The smaller sodas that were listed before my post, yeah some (definatly not all) taste better than Coke, but that package sets things apart. Look at beers, Bud may not taste all that great, but they are with out a doubt "The King of Beers". We buy what our eyes are trained to do, and if the product satisfys us, no reason to change.

I think alot of the smaller, older brands taste a whole lot better than the commonplace plastic and can stuff. I think that the packaging can add alot to make consuming the product a more pleasurable experience; I think drinking a soda from a longneck glass bottle is the way to go and if it's a great-tasting beverage especially with cane sugar then that is a plus. We can take that Diet Coke for example. Sure a restaurant with a 'fountain' has their Diet Coke concentrate mixed with carbonated tap water in a glass with a bunch of ice which waters it down. Out of principle I never order fountain drinks. In a restaurant I will either have bottled or draught microbrew or import beer or I will have a glass of milk (the best milk is the one in the restaurants for some reason). I distribute beverages in glass bottles so I admit that I am spoiled and thus perhaps too snobbish to drink stuff that is beneath me. Now back to Diet Coke... a glass returnable/refillable bottle of Diet Coke, ice cold, is a true pleasure. Whenever I'm in a foreign country I'll drink that or Coca-Cola Light which is basically the same thing with a different name. Also the Mexican version is pretty good. It's got a familiar flavor and I like it from time to time. But then I'd drink a Boylans Black Cherry in glass before a canned anything; I'd drink a Cool Mountain Lime or a Bubble Up or a Leninade or whatever in glass before a can or plastic drink. To me, the first thing is that it must be in glass. Then I choose from what's available in glass whatever I think is best. As for the fountain and plastic and cans, I don't like how they look or feel and I don't like how they have encroached on the good stuff and often caused its demise so I consider those drinks to be detrimental to the future of quality beverages and refuse to spend my money on them. As for Jones,... don't even get me started but at least they didn't have it in plastic to worsen an already bad thing!!
    Keep in mind that the King Of Pop\'s crown is not made from a bunch of melted aluminum cans!

I think image definitely sells a product. Most people just pick up Coke, Dr Pepper, or Pepsi, because that's what they've always drank. I doubt they even really bother to taste the stuff anymore, kind of like drinking so much bad tap water that you can't taste the bad flavor anymore. The image of quality and nostalgia makes Coke sell, even though those qualities were abandoned years ago. And SS, not everything in glass is great. For example, Orbitz! That was a product that sold purely on it's image alone. There's no way it could have sold on it's flavor, considering that it didn't have any. But people keep bringing it up on this board. It's image stuck in people's minds and made them keep trying it out, even though it was nasty undrinkable sewage water.

Danny, not to add fule to the inferno, but Jones was in plastics before. 20 oz. plastic bottles, and man did they taste like crap.

Jones was in plastic?!? weird! Anyways I agree with everybody on here. One thing that i do liek about Jones was its *fake* interest in the consumer. I liked the send in your own pictures for the label. However I just wish was a company full of corrupt money grubbers and I wis hthat they had more than 2 good flavors. As for fountain I never ask for ice. I pay for the soda not the ice!
    <b>Hey Pepsi, Shasta called, they want their lemon-lime back.</b>