Bevboard

In the next few months, I will be contemplating the purchase of either a box truck (probably an Isuzu) or a cargo fan (probably a Ford E350 Supercargo).

Most of my competitors around here seem to favor box trucks, and I'm also leaning in that direction, but I've heard others swear by the Ford E350 Supercargo. The ability to transport machines with relative ease has me leaning in the box truck direction, but the probable high cost of operating it has me looking in the other direction as well.

I'm interested to see what you all think about it and why.

Does a box truck have enough space to accommodate a few pallets of product? Just wondering.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Originally posted by bullman:
    The ability to transport machines with relative ease has me leaning in the box truck direction, but the probable high cost of operating it has me looking in the other direction as well.[/QB]
    I have heard the dodge Sprinter van in diesel gets over 24 MPG.

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
    Does a box truck have enough space to accommodate a few pallets of product? Just wondering.
    Yes. I've seen some where they've built shelves inside the "box" on both sides where snacks and/or soda can be stored, leaving a walkway in the middle that can accomodate 3 or 4 machines. Kind of like a moving warehouse.

Box truck with a diesl engine would be my choice, I have worked with both and found the step vans to be higher in maintenance cost and after a year the shelves start to get loose and make noise. I will never buy another step van.
    Collector of soda cans - Most wanted can Goody Root Beer

I would suggest a box truck. It's going to give you more space which gives you more room to grow. It also gives you the option of carrying pallets if you need to. I had a 14ft box truck and it fit four pallets no problem. I also think it will be much more convenient for transporting coolers. The topper is they get about the same gas mileage as a E350 (12-16 mpg). I would say the only problem with a box truck is that they are not as easy to maneuver around.

My 2 cents; Start with a van...use the **** out of it....make some dough, upgrade to a box truck.

Again just wondering?
    Will a good van (assuming American model) last over 100,000 miles with TLC?
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Originally posted by ALLPRO:
    My 2 cents; Start with a van...use the **** out of it....make some dough, upgrade to a box truck.
    If anyone should know it would be this guy. (He did the same thing with his wives!!! LOL)

Actually, It really depends on your distribution locations. If you are in a city the E350 would be a better choice. Suburbs and country side I would go with the box truck.(Diesel of course on both )
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Greg, You are on a roll today! You must be taking a 4 day weekend!