Bevboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default And New Coca-Cola Classic Can, Too!!!

Looks like the plain red with the flat wave look is coming to the US...see the Coca-Cola Classic can in this pic taken from the Coke Zero web site:

I really don't like the new "flat wave" design. I wish they would either use the original 1970's wave or the re-designed 1980's/90's wave.

When is Coca Cola going to lose 'Classic' from the name? After 20 years, there's really not a need for it. Secondly, no one calls it 'Classic' anymore. At least it's been de-emphasized over the years.

As for the 'flat' looking packaging, that's the trend right now. A solid color (or near-solid minimalist design) background with a solid-color logo on top. I've been seeing this trend in the design world over the past few months.

I don't mind the solid color (or near-solid minimalist design) background with a solid-color logo on top; what I don't like is the design of the new wave that does not have near the curvature as the original 1970's or revised 1980's wave designs.

Actually, in the industry, we still use the term classic quite a bit.

Great finding... thanks!... I see that the japanese folks from japantoday.com were not wrong... I like better the current logo, but whatever, the new logo will be welcomed too...

I wonder if this packaging change will apply for the Lime and Black Cherry Vanilla versions also... if they survive...

Did you noticed that the "classic" word looks different?

Here in Mexico there's no sight of the new logo, in fact the regular can design with the current logo returned after two years of special edition cans with graphics of "toma lo bueno" and "Coke side of life" campaign graphics...
    Last edited by Ram0n C0keah0lic; 02-25-2007 at 03:26 AM.

"Classic" serves several roles for the company today.

- Within the industry, it is used as the name of that product. A store will order so much "classic", so much "diet", so much "zero" and so on. The alternative would be "regular". No company wants it product to be called "regular".

- As soon as they take the word off the can, the internet rumor passers and the other urban legend psycos will spew out that they had to do so because its "not classic anymore" with wild tales of what they have changed.

- It provides an easy way to say that "zero" has "classic" taste.

- It protects Coca-Cola as a brandname for a family of products. Coca-Cola Classic, Coca-Cola Zero, etc, etc. Otherwise its Coca-Cola (regular) and variants on that.

I think the "classic" branding only exists in the US and a few other markets. In most countries it's just called Coca-cola, or Coke (and is made with real sugar ).

Quote Originally Posted by SamC View Post
    "Classic" serves several roles for the company today.
    - It protects Coca-Cola as a brandname for a family of products. Coca-Cola Classic, Coca-Cola Zero, etc, etc. Otherwise its Coca-Cola (regular) and variants on that.
    I could easily come up with a retort to every other one of your points. But what you said about 'regular' makes sense. 'Classic' has a far better connotation than 'regular' or 'plain.'

Still, my nostalgic side longs for the day when 'classic' disappears altogether. The fewer reminders we have of New Coke the better.

(Granted, I'll admit New Coke wasn't bad...it just wasn't Coke.)

When I was a kid, COKE was my first love (A-List).
    IMO, Coke will always be Coke and not Coke Classic.
    I'm guessing that most Cole lovers have gotten over the
    Coke II fiasco.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

i'm with you. i don't mind the simple design. i'd just prefer that the wave have a little more "curve" to it. at a lot of angles, it doesn't look like a "wave" at all... it looks like a smile or something.

also, why does the coke zero wave look different in that pic? it almost looks like it was drawn on after the fact...

as for losing the "classic"... there seem to be valid arguments for both. it does seem that the word keeps getting smaller and smaller over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeologist View Post
    I don't mind the solid color (or near-solid minimalist design) background with a solid-color logo on top; what I don't like is the design of the new wave that does not have near the curvature as the original 1970's or revised 1980's wave designs.
    Last edited by popologist; 02-26-2007 at 09:32 AM.