Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Corn prices... higher and higher !

I have to admit it is music to my ear. Maybe now some of these companies will stop using that Corn Syrup garbage and start using good old fashion cane sugar and making just about everyone happy.

With corn prices going higher and higher you have to ask WHY NOT USE SOMETHING BETTER !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SumPoosieCat View Post
    I have to admit it is music to my ear. Maybe now some of these companies will stop using that Corn Syrup garbage and start using good old fashion cane sugar and making just about everyone happy.

With corn prices going higher and higher you have to ask WHY NOT USE SOMETHING BETTER !!!
    You should look into Stevia, it's an herb that is 30x sweeter than sugar. The only problem is I don't think it's FDA approved, even though all testing has shown that it's actually GOOD for you, and has none of the harmful effects of sugar....lol. There is controversy that if brought to the open market it would put the cane sugar industry out of business, and the Gov't can't have that....

You can find a little bottle of stevia at any whole foods market or organic store, it's pretty good and doesn't have a weird aftertaste, i can contest to it....

Default Stevia is illegal/unapproved as a sweetener in USA

Quote Originally Posted by SkipWankman View Post
    You should look into Stevia, it's an herb that is 30x sweeter than sugar. The only problem is I don't think it's FDA approved,
    We were going to use stevia, until we learned that we would be in serious legal trouble. You can use stevia as a "dietary supplement", you just can't use it as a sweetener! It hasn't passed FDA "safety" requirements. In the end, we didn't want to be a test case for them...

Mark

Better is often more expensive. Are you willing to $1.69 for a 20oz soda?
    Of course the increase in the COG's will be passed on to the consumer. Do really think the investors will eat that charge? That is one reason they went to HFCS in the first place.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Greg... you have me a bit confused

Remember it takes less sugar to do the job than corn syrup

Secondly, the difference is a few pennies per can or bottle

Third... the product taste BETTER with real sugar

Last ... if corn prices continue to go up they will soon HAVE to make the product better and use REAL SUGAR!

Don't you find it interesting that Coke and Pepsi put that corn sludge in their product instead of something that cost a few pennies more but makes the product taste even better!!! Sounds like a small example of corporate greed.

By the way Citigroup CEO was paid 26 million for 2006 a few months later 15,000 jobs are cut....yeah leave it to corporations to do the "right" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Better is often more expensive. Are you willing to $1.69 for a 20oz soda?
    Of course the increase in the COG's will be passed on to the consumer. Do really think the investors will eat that charge? That is one reason they went to HFCS in the first place.
    we're probably going to be paying 1.69 for a 20oz this year anyhow.. its kinda sick to imagine 4.49 12packs but looks like we're all getting ready to make it reality... might as well use real sugar to make it less painful when you're drinking :P

anyone ever dive into wondering how much stock or invested interest these large companies might have in the actual producers plants? (for the sugar/corn syrup plants) I mean if you own the plant it might be harder to switch cause you're not profiting off your other company owned interest? Just a conspiracy theory for everyone (its like health insurance companies investing in cancer cure companies)

Greg... you have me a bit confused

Remember it takes less sugar to do the job than corn syrup

Secondly, the difference is a few pennies per can or bottle

Third... the product taste BETTER with real sugar

Last ... if corn prices continue to go up they will soon HAVE to make the product better and use REAL SUGAR!

Don't you find it interesting that Coke and Pepsi put that corn sludge in their product instead of something that cost a few pennies more but makes the product taste even better!!! Sounds like a small example of corporate greed.

By the way Citigroup CEO was paid 26 million for 2006 a few months later 15,000 jobs are cut....yeah leave it to corporations to do the "right" thing.

Yeah just a few pennies more.......times millions of cans of Soda!
    Why do you think they switched in the first place? Cost is a major factor in that decision.
    "This is because HFCS are cheaper to transport and produce, easier to store and mix into food and actually taste sweeter . Food products sweetened with HFCS can therefore be made with lower cost and sold at a lower price."(The Science Quarterly)
    Plus, If i'm not mistaken, and someone please call me out on this if I am, Sugar is not as shelf stable as HFCS. That is also a concern.

Oh Yeah, Don't try and bait me with your "Class Envy" statements about CEO's versus employees. Try and get a job from a poor person next time you are looking. And when it's time to get a loan or VC to expand and grow SPC try and get it from some guy thats Broke. It's all got to come from somewhere and I am trying to get on top of that heap.
    g
    Last edited by greg; 03-28-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Lol... class envy? Wow... I will have to save that for another time.

Cost? Price? Profit? Do you think Coke and Pepsi won't raise the price of their drinks if HFCS continues to rise ??? You know they will... well.... why not use Real Sugar which everyone knows taste better and is better for you than HFCS. It is not the company that eats the few pennies its the consumer and most will gladly pay a little more for a better product.

People drive long distances to get Coke made with Real Sugar... hmmmm just imagine if they just made it that way!

There is no defending HFCS over Real Sugar... it would be nice if people would just do the right thing but corporations seem to have a problem doing that if it cost a few pennies more.... what a shame!

Lol... class envy? Wow... I will have to save that for another time.

Cost? Price? Profit? Do you think Coke and Pepsi won't raise the price of their drinks if HFCS continues to rise ??? You know they will... well.... why not use Real Sugar which everyone knows taste better and is better for you than HFCS. It is not the company that eats the few pennies its the consumer and most will gladly pay a little more for a better product.

People drive long distances to get Coke made with Real Sugar... hmmmm just imagine if they just made it that way!

There is no defending HFCS over Real Sugar... it would be nice if people would just do the right thing but corporations seem to have a problem doing that if it cost a few pennies more.... what a shame!
    Do you think that the Sugar industry will not raise their prices when demand goes up?
    I'm not arguing taste or preference. I am arguing cost of goods sold. As a For profit company Coke and Pepsi have the obligation to create a product that can be sold to the most amount of people at a set price. If that set price is raised they will lose consumers. It is about business and the decisions made to operate a profitable one.
    You can't just call out Coke and Pepsi becasue HFCS is used in all brands and categories in our lives.

What is the SRP for a 16oz SPC? Why do you charge that. Why not charge just a few pennies less? If you sell 1mm cans of SPC that would equate to 30K. 1mm units is = to one more person you can employ for a year. That is one more person not looking for a job. You just created a job for someone by charging a few pennies more instead of a few pennies less.
    Take that equation and put it into Coke and Pepsi numbers. How many jobs do they create by saving 3 cents per can? ??????? Thousands! That is 1000's of people and the familes that some of them support. They are a part of the economy and that is how I look at business. I look at it through a wide angle and its implications on many not just one consumer buying my single unit of beverage.

Your arguing cost of goods sold? I am arguing the use of HFCS...!!! Since it has replaced Real Sugar in the early 80's the rate of obese children in the USA has more than tripled... diabetes... more than tripled. Medical research has determined HFCS actually prohibits the body from feeling full. To put it in plain english Greg the stuff is garbage.

Who cares if it cost a few pennies more... MAKE A BETTER PRODUCT ! You may lose a few because the cost goes up a few pennies but think how many you would gain because you are using REAL SUGAR.