Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Accelerate by Cadbury Schweppes

Gatorade wil have to face new competitor named Accelerate
    Cadbury Schweppes is working on the biggest launch in the firm's beverage history behind Accelerade, a sports drink that is about to try to penetrate a category which has been dominated by Gatorade for a long time.
    How advanced would this new sports drink product, have to be to tackle the selling power of Gatorade?

IMO I do not think this new sports drink will cut into Gatorade's market share.
    This is a good article.

Cadbury's Objective: Make Gatorade Sweat
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

If this is going to be distributed by 3rd tier bottlers, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it, unfortunately.

LOL, I work at Price Chopper, and when we had the store brand Sport Drink, KICK on sale, I think ten for ten, we only sold like three of them.

So no, I don't think this product will do well.

Default Sports Drink

Can anyone tell me what makes a "legitimate sports drink"?

Revised: Article breakdown

Sports drinks are supposed to replenish and hydrate.

sub categories ????:

pre workout

post workout

Gatorade

Our scientifically proven formula works for athletes. Protein is for post workout. It's an active ingredient that helps recovery. They are two different things
    Accelerade

a protein enhanced sports drink that allows athletes to get the most out of their workout and their exercise. The 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio has been clinically proven to enhance endurance by 29% over ordinary sports drinks
    Market Strength:

Accelerade

Endurance athletes have used it in powder form for years.
    One can assume that it more of a niche and turned into a RTD for the mainstream
    and mass market.

It will be sweeter in composition.

Gatorade

Gatorade has evolved into an every day refreshment beverage
    One can assume it is a mainstream beverage that the mass market consumes.

It will remain the same.

Observation:

I am just trying to get my head around the fact that Gatorade would be pretty hard to match, it could always spin off a product to take on Accelerade. Maybe Recoverade.

Is there any others from the states that have a good market position?

OTHER PLAYERS

Kellogg - Special K Protein Water and Muscle Milk

Powerade - Coke

Any niches being filled with a small player in the USA.

Last edited by illusionh20; 04-15-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Revised & Corrected

Default Sweet $$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Zabe View Post
    IMO I do not think this new sports drink will cut into Gatorade's market share.
    This is a good article.

Cadbury's Objective: Make Gatorade Sweat
    $50 million marketing campaign
    Hmmm the fact Gatorade is not sickly sweet does not mean a competitor with the sweetness factor is going to have an impact, as for throwing $$$$ around I think Gatorade could respond and undermine the strength of the marketing campaign. Bevnet must be licking their lips with the upcoming advertising dollars coming to market.

I like the ingredient profile of Accelerade. I believe, as does CS, that the protein during exercise is beneficial as anit catabolism (muscle), Can help in maintaining hydration, and help with endurance due to critical amino acids warding off muscle fatigue.

It may be a niche market at first but so was RB and Gatorade.
    The direction I see today in the C-store category is that they are becoming small Health Food Stores. I know that sounds funny, but look around next time you are in one. There are healthier drinks in the Cold Vault, protein Bars in the aisle and fruit at the check out.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Quote Originally Posted by illusionh20 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what makes a "legitimate sports drink"?

Revised: Article breakdown

Sports drinks are supposed to replenish and hydrate.

sub categories ????:

pre workout

post workout

Gatorade

Accelerade

OTHER PLAYERS

[/B]Kellogg - Special K Protein Water and Muscle Milk

Powerade - Coke

Any niches being filled with a small player in the USA.

Pre and Post Workout Drinks I believe are more of your "GYM" drinks. The gatorade and Accelerade are more for the sports enthusists. i.e weekend tennis player, cyclist, hiker, runner,etc.
    A Small player, actually in the scheme of things used to be CytoSport. The parent company of Muscle Milk. They had a good drink called CytoMax that had about 1/3 -1/2 the amount of sugar. I don't know hat happend to that drink.
    Then there was AllSport that was made by Pepsi but sold I believe to Monarch Brands after the Quaker Oats deal(Gatorade). This stuff was nasty in my opinion because it was carbonated. Carbonation in a rehydration drink is not a good idea in my opinion. Monarch has since taken the carbonation out and reintroduced it.I don't see it anywhwere.

As far as the Kellogs Special K and Muscle Milk goes I don't see them as sports drinks that would compete against Gatorade. Special K is just water with a little
    protein in it. Muscle Milk is a Protein Drink used for Muscle anabolism and muscle maintenance.

Pwerade has it's followes but it may be the only true target for Acceleerade to go after right now. If it does a good job and takes over the number 2 spot it would still be pretty good sales.
    g
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Saw a shelf tag for this today in a Supervalu-owned supermarket. $2.19 for a 20oz bottle - warehouse delivered, not DSD.

Paid $2.49 tonight for one at a local 7-11. I bought the mountain berry flavor. Similar to Powerade's mountain blast, but a slightly bitter aftertaste.

I like the grip feeling of the bottle, but the label is just too busy.

label has "distributed under the authority of Motts LLP, Rye Brook NY"