Bevboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by illusionh20 View Post
    How advanced would this new sports drink product, have to be to tackle the selling power of Gatorade?
    Well I'm not sure anyone is going to tackle gatorade with where its at in the sports world... every team uses it... thee end... (well okay I've seen some teams use other weird things but for the majority)

So I don't think they are holding the dream of tackling the giant just getting a wedge of the pie and getting the foot in the door from people who are just sick of gatorade since they've been drinking it and looking for something similar but maybe other flavors or different tastes in similar flavors... I'm not sure they can bring too many new customers to the category so I think its just stealing a couple percent and hoping some day to hit double digits.

I guess I should go take a look at powerade and see how well they've been able to do over this time period to see what kind of dent they've been able to make. I see it all the same stores I would expect to see cadbury and the key will come down to pricing... this will be one time they can't afford to come off as a "premium" brand and will have to get down and dirty by being that brand thats 10 cents cheaper... lol.

Untill many others come to the game, I think this is like the energy drink category... one company rules it till everyone and their mother made one up to cash in, but the dollars aren't as high so I don't see dozens of guys in garages making brands to compete so the king will stay king, just with a few new jesters in 2008.

I agree with DPYummy.
    The sports drink catagory has the ultimate barrier to entry.
    Gatorade!!!!! Enough said. LOL (Said in jest.)
    Last edited by Mr Zabe; 05-10-2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

BevNET Guest

Agreed. Accelerate doesn't seem to have what it takes to go up against Gatorade, or even Powerade. Plus, it has Cadbury behind it.

Review coming soon.

Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Quote Originally Posted by BevNET View Post
    Agreed. Accelerate doesn't seem to have what it takes to go up against Gatorade, or even Powerade. Plus, it has Cadbury behind it.

Review coming soon.
    Hey now don't knock cadbury too much... where we've seen ABC or AABC bottlers and were bought up and transformed into CSBG, they seem to be doing a lot better with distribution and quicker to market times with products but they need to keep buying up distributors to give themselves more of a power over larger regions/states than having a fraction of it...

Assuming some equity firm or retirement group doesn't buy them up and ruin the entire company, I think they've got a chance to really keep growing and becoming more of a force in the industry as they gobble up distributors. Wow I must have taken a positive pill today usually I'm grumpy and negative by friday. I'm going to go fire someone now so I don't ruin my image. lol

Default Maybe its just the south but....

Powerade is growing at a tremendous rate here. Grocery companies have went up on Gatorade again, and most C stores have it at 1.89 or 1.99. You can get a 32oz Powerade anywhere from .79 to 1.09 and that is making a big difference. We are taking it to Gatorade at this time. Like I said it might just be a Southern thing. In Baton Rouge(part of Coca Cola United like Bham), they have a higher share than Gatorade. We need more flavors and hopefully that is something the company will give us eventually.

Accelerate is not in Cadbury bottlers house yet in Texas. They are running it through the retailers warehouse. My opinion is that this is a mistake. In Texas Cadbury is no 3rd bottler. #1 in some markets.

I don't this product is going to fare well. First, if a 20oz bottle is retailing for over $2...that is a problem. How many times have you seen Gatorade 32oz at 10/$10 or even 89 cents?

Gatorade's market share is "almost" untouchable...Powerade has been in the market for over 15 years and has slowly managed to build its share into the teens (nationwide...it is much weaker in some areas). This is okay, but really speaks the brand equity Gatorade has. Additionally, Powerade's success has come as a result of low retails...

I think Cadbury-Schweppes is going to be disappointed...

Anyone else see the BOGO coupon banner ad on this thread (and others?) for 7-11?

Quote Originally Posted by BevNET View Post

Review coming soon.
    Looking forward to the review.