Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Coke flirts with Snapple bid...

as some of us predicted (or hoped for), Coke is looking to snap up Snapple (and Mott's juices as well) from Cadbury-Schweppes.

Coke weighs move for Snapple - Times Online

Dealscape: Dealwatch: Cadbury Schweppes

Interesting... let's see what happens, Coca-Cola has been in the fruit teas segment before with Fruitopia (that BTW here in Mexico completely failed)... and let's see if Cadbury Schweppes lets it go...

Smile

i've been hoping coke would grab snapple for awhile. it's a well-known brand that i think coke can rejuvenate. fruitopia just never really seemed to catch on... and, i have to admit, most of the flavors tasted bad. but, snapple... i buy their tea all the time. i especially like their sugar-free peach tea.

In my limited exposure to various grocery stores,CS,national drug stores and big box stores.....Snapple appears to be doing quiet well. IMO, impulse customers who want a different drink other than soda pop, notice and buy Snapple drinks. IMO, Coca Cola will have obtained a nice profit center if they acquire Snapple.
    Last edited by Mr Zabe; 07-05-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Zabe View Post
    In my limited exposure to various grocery stores,CS,national drug stores and big box stores.....Snapple appears to be doing quiet well. IMO, impulse customers who want a different drink other than soda pop, notice and buy Snapple drinks. IMO, Coca Cola will have obtained a nice profit center if they acquire Snapple.
    Well I have said for a while coke would try to buy up snapple, but I still think they are making a mistake, sure there is growth but for the cost it will be to them (same reason I didn't think they'd buy arizona, its just not a value buy unlike glaceau as high as it is, total value buy)... I think they could better spend their money buying honest tea... even if i still think they will try to buy snapple I would vote for honest tea if I was on their board...

Honest tea would be a value buy and they have the distribution to bring it to the level of snapple because it really does seem to be a good brand just lacks national distribution and a marketing campaign the size of coke... despite the fact I'm a snapple person I will say that, cause I am honest. lol :P (puns intended)

Snapple has become an old, tired brand again. It's going to take a significant investment other than the purchase price to get it up to speed, money that would be better spent elsewhere, in my opinion.

Wink

i've never heard of honest tea.

as for snapple... i think it's a smart move. it will be much easier to re-establish snapple than to build a brand from scratch.

now, if only coke could buy red bull...

Honest Tea is based in the Maryland suburbs of DC. It's sold around here by Honickman Canada Dry and Haddon House (a specialty foods distributor).

Honest Beverages

The first thing I would do if I was in charge of Snapple would be to change the bottle to something more eye-catching.

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. The goofy Snapple bottle
    is what catches my eye as I scan the door looking for a tea-juice-sweet
    drink. But hey, I still remember Wendi picking up the phones, LOL

I do see how the young crowd might relate to a more current bottle shape.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Default I'll bet the folks at Cadbury are happy.

Coca-Cola's attempt to buy Snapple will help to drive up the selling price of their American Beverages business. Whether or not Coke ends up with Snapple probably depends on which private equity group ends up with the winning bid.