Bevboard

Default Alcopops - Smirnoff Ice/Bacardi Razz/etc.

Sorry to post this here. The alcohol section doesn't see action.

I'd like to know how these drinks are made.

-Are they basically just mixing malt liquor with a syrup flavoring?
    -I'm, assuming the malt is filtered several time (Smirnoff says triple filtered on one of it's drink).
    -Is the malt the same stuff that you drink in Colt, Steel Reserve?
    -Is the malt made differently.

If someone knows about this and would care to explain, I would be super intereted in learning about this.

James

I'd like to know too. I've searched some of the beer making boards but haven't found anything yet.

The way I understand it, it's beer without hops, then flavored heavily by syrups. The extra sugar may play a part in the increased alcohol content, but that's just a guess.

No flames if I'm off base, that's just what I've been told..........

They've got loads of calories and sugar... terrible for you. Way worse than regular beer.

theres some better descriptions out there, but the general gist is that they are malt beers, with the beer flavoring removed, and then loads of sugar/flavoring added.

because of some loopholes, some were actually using "real" alcohol.. they'd throw the regular alcohol into the "flavoring" catagory, and claim the vodka was for flavor, etc.. I believe SKYY Blue did this.. many of the cancelled malternatives went through this loophole. I believe it played a factor in terms of cancelling many of these beverages when sales got worse... They were going to have to reformulate many of them because of hearings and questioning by alcohol enforcement bodies around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by JMHX316 View Post
    The way I understand it, it's beer without hops, then flavored heavily by syrups. The extra sugar may play a part in the increased alcohol content, but that's just a guess.

No flames if I'm off base, that's just what I've been told..........

Is the syrup placed in the mix before fermentation? Or is the malt base made and then the flavor is added during bottling?