Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question What Is An Energy Drink?

Ok; so there are hundreds of names on cans claiming to be an energy drink.
    But, what constitutes an energy drink?

Do you consider caffeine and some B vitamins to be an energy drink?
    Is red-bull a true energy drink?

How about a drink with lots of nutrients? How about orange juice?
    Is V8 an energy drink?

Post your replies as to what do you think a TRUE energy drink should be and what effects it should have?
    Last edited by NEED-ENERGY; 09-03-2007 at 07:03 PM.

IMHO
    Beyond the elements of ingrediants,marketing and market demand.
    ED's are more than the sum of their parts and are based on the principle
    of mind over mater.

IMO....ED's are 90% marketing and 10% ingredient formula.
    Last edited by Mr Zabe; 09-03-2007 at 01:50 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Zabe View Post
    IMHO
    Beyond the elements of ingrediants,marketing and market demand.
    ED's are more than the sum of their parts and are based on the principle
    of mind over mater.

IMO....ED's are 90% marketing and 10% ingredient formula.
    I think it is like beauty, truly in the eye of the beholder. However, those who are exercise enthusiasts would have a totally different opion of what energy drinks are vs. what your averages teenager might feel an energy drink are. I think both are trying to capture the same target demographic but one segment misses another hits it right on the mark.

The true measure of an energy drink is the image it protrays of it's user. Is it cool. Is it an enhancement to my activity, whether that is skateboarding, powerlifiting or partying, it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by NRGSLLR@ View Post
    I think it is like beauty, truly in the eye of the beholder. However, those who are exercise enthusiasts would have a totally different opion of what energy drinks are vs. what your averages teenager might feel an energy drink are. I think both are trying to capture the same target demographic but one segment misses another hits it right on the mark.

The true measure of an energy drink is the image it protrays of it's user. Is it cool. Is it an enhancement to my activity, whether that is skateboarding, powerlifiting or partying, it doesn't matter.
    Sorry about the spelling, grammar. Opinion etc.

Lightbulb This should sum it up...

Taste, Package, color...again I say should only complement the Beverage. One thing I have always noticed is that every RB ad;

Always a cartoon & distorted artwork
    Never do they focus on the Can or its looks (that is American thinking)

And it's always about the wings (or energy) just incase there is anyone that don't understand why RB became #1...

RB was not the first they just came on stronger and for the right reason for the times. But...as everyone knows times change....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deepnenergy; 09-05-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: another thought came to mind
    CJ <br />Business relations

Does the American Beverage Association define what is an energy drink?

If it has 65+ mg caffeine in 8oz or 130+ mg in 16 ounce, I consider it an energy drink.

Anything less and I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy20 View Post
    If it has 65+ mg caffeine in 8oz or 130+ mg in 16 ounce, I consider it an energy drink.

Anything less and I don't.

You consider caffeine a source of energy?
    Are people that ignorant?

Quote Originally Posted by NEED-ENERGY View Post
    You consider caffeine a source of energy?
    Are people that ignorant?
    Please explain yourself?

Caffeine is not a true source of energy but it is a cataylst for energy by reacting on certain receptors on the cellular level as well as in the brain. In the brain caffeine acts like a "blocker" of adenosine. The brain and pituitary gland react to "increased neuron firing" by dilating pupils, opening air passages, increased heart rate, vasoconstriction, etc. This is how the energy is created.
    Now if you want to argue that carbohydrates are the only true source of energy that is debatable. Carbs alone do not create any energy unless work is invloved. Carbs can be stored as energy to be used later, but until it is used it is not energy.

I guess Starbucks, RB, Monster, et al have been pulling a fast one on us all these years and we didn't even realize it.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Please explain yourself?

Caffeine is not a true source of energy but it is a cataylst for energy by reacting on certain receptors on the cellular level as well as in the brain. In the brain caffeine acts like a "blocker" of adenosine. The brain and pituitary gland react to "increased neuron firing" by dilating pupils, opening air passages, increased heart rate, vasoconstriction, etc. This is how the energy is created.
    Now if you want to argue that carbohydrates are the only true source of energy that is debatable. Carbs alone do not create any energy unless work is invloved. Carbs can be stored as energy to be used later, but until it is used it is not energy.

I guess Starbucks, RB, Monster, et al have been pulling a fast one on us all these years and we didn't even realize it.

Boy, seems like i struck a nerve, that apparently works like Caffeine.
    Sure caffeine is known to block adenosine, but this is "pretend" energy. Nothing more than a stimulant.
    A slap in the face could also lead to the same effect, but when anger and heavy breathing wears off, you realize that you were stimulated, not given Energy.

Did you know that excess caffeine could lead to spontaneous abortion in pregnant women.
    Stressed out with being pregnant? go to starbucks and order a double lathe, that will give you Energy.