Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar vs corn

Default Sugar vs corn

I read a post on another board where the poster read in the business section of the paper that soda makers may go back to sugar because of corns rising price. No link was provided.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by drpep View Post
    I read a post on another board where the poster read in the business section of the paper that soda makers may go back to sugar because of corns rising price. No link was provided.
    It's really a tossup right now... there is also talk of the government raising the import tariff on imported sugar cane so that there won't be enough of a cost effective benefit from corn syrup to real sugar if the price on imported sugar goes up... so it's just an absolute lobbyist battle to the government offices to see who will win the sugar war... keep in mind corn prices are going to continue rising though (all this ethanol producing going on in the midwest with new ethanol plants coming online 2008-2010 taking entire crops from farmers who will now plant all corn and very little other variety to maximize their returns), so at some point you might see a shift (unless the ethanol plants push for multiple sources for making biofuel instead of corn, heck even paper mills are using tree scraps to produce biofuel to run the mills, crazy times we live in)... who knows though, with the weaker dollar not buying as much imported sugar as before too... its all a tricky balance.

Thumbs down Disregard DrPepperYummy.

Please disregard DrPepperYummy's post above.

Thanks!

Bob

I have read in several publications that ethanol production is a virtual waste of time. Many purport that if the US switched to ethanol as its main source of energy( for vehicles) That it would take every single areable( sp?) piece of land to keep up with production. That would create chaos on our food supply.
    I know that sugar cane is a huge source of sugar for the US in S. Florida, however, it seems to be losing out to development potential.
    Just an observation.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Not to take it off topic too much but I agree with your sentiments greg about ethanol I have been hearing that the cost will NOT outweigh the benefit..enviroment wise either.

Please close this post. It's an attempt to gain leverage with the general consumer population.

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    I have read in several publications that ethanol production is a virtual waste of time. Many purport that if the US switched to ethanol as its main source of energy( for vehicles) That it would take every single areable( sp?) piece of land to keep up with production. That would create chaos on our food supply.
    I know that sugar cane is a huge source of sugar for the US in S. Florida, however, it seems to be losing out to development potential.
    Just an observation.
    Yeah I agree ethanol is just a patch fuel until we finally go hydrogen... thats why water is going to become worth more than gold in the future... hydrogen is the only fuel we're going to not have to pay some foreign country for since we can produce it from water... soon we won't be watering our grass with how much we'll have to pay to be green... lol (although I will say plug-in hybrids are starting to come out and seem to have popularity among current hybrid owners who now can drive for 40 miles on battery after plugging it in for a couple hours for a fraction of the cost of gasoline over 40 miles)

So uhhhh fill your bath tubs today, it'll be worth thousands in a couple decades!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPepperYummy View Post
    Yeah I agree ethanol is just a patch fuel until we finally go hydrogen... thats why water is going to become worth more than gold in the future... hydrogen is the only fuel we're going to not have to pay some foreign country for since we can produce it from water... soon we won't be watering our grass with how much we'll have to pay to be green... lol (although I will say plug-in hybrids are starting to come out and seem to have popularity among current hybrid owners who now can drive for 40 miles on battery after plugging it in for a couple hours for a fraction of the cost of gasoline over 40 miles)

So uhhhh fill your bath tubs today, it'll be worth thousands in a couple decades!

So If we go Hydrogen Fuel Cells that have to be "plugged in" for hours at a time isn't that going to put a strain on conventional powerplants??
    How do most of these Power Plants run: Nuclear, Coal, Hydro,Fossil Fuel.

It looks to me that we just trade one situation for another. I have no answers, just theories.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by hodgesbo View Post
    Please close this post. It's an attempt to gain leverage with the general consumer population.
    You have 5 post and none of them make sense!

Sounds like we've got a troll.