Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Energy Drinks Hit Bottom

Just like a fast rising stock, as quick as the category climbed to be the fastest growing of all segments, It has hit the wall. The fall out will be significant and the carnage is beginning to show up everywhere, Big lots will have a field day with request for this junk. Just look at the beverage spectrums last issue of energy drinks how many of them will still be around? Think of the 10's of thousand and even millions spent on this junk and they will have nothing to show for all this? What a waste of hard earned dollars, I wonder if the federal government will bail these companies out for making such poor judgments into bad investments? Like a wilder beast mentality they all followed the heard into a river of blood thirsty alligators, now the river will run red in ink for years to come from all this waste and not one dollar to show for any of it.

The Distributors don't want it, the Stores don't want it.

The back lash for these caffeine drinks, will be followed by law suits, for drugging the nations youth, just like the tobacco and obesity suits, weve seen a few but more are to follow as the obvious begins to rear its ugly head in time, this stuff has so much sugar it is rotting the teeth right out of our heads, not to mention the caffeine destrying the central nervous system, will leave them with ticks as adults.

At least the aluminum market is thriving they can get money for the empty containers as scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbottom View Post
    Big lots will have a field day with request for this junk..
    good news for me

Default Really?

"this stuff has so much sugar it is rotting the teeth right out of our heads, not to mention the caffeine destroying the central nervous system, will leave them with ticks as adults."

Really? I think just regular sodas are just as bad sugar wise and caffeine is not the devil many make it out to be. 300mg per day of caffeine is not harmful. It is just like fast food. If you don't control your intake that is your fault. If your kids drink 3 Monster per day that is the parents fault not the ED producers fault. Starbucks has probably caffeinated more kids than energy drinks and added a lot of fat to go along with it.
    Everything You Need to Know About Caffeine
    banned

honestly, i think the boom is just really starting. sure alot of startups have gone out of business, but look at monster. almost anyone you know has tried it or heard of it. it is truly becoming an alternative to coffee. I saw on some business magazine just a month ago about investing in the ed market. More and more money is going in, and the succesful companies are reaping the benefits. sure alot of products in this category fail, but truly is growing.
    I'm an acquired taste, if you don't like me acquire some taste

Quote Originally Posted by scum1 View Post
    "this stuff has so much sugar it is rotting the teeth right out of our heads, not to mention the caffeine destroying the central nervous system, will leave them with ticks as adults."

Really? I think just regular sodas are just as bad sugar wise and caffeine is not the devil many make it out to be. 300mg per day of caffeine is not harmful. It is just like fast food. If you don't control your intake that is your fault. If your kids drink 3 Monster per day that is the parents fault not the ED producers fault. Starbucks has probably caffeinated more kids than energy drinks and added a lot of fat to go along with it.
    Everything You Need to Know About Caffeine
    I agree and well said.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Sorry mr.doomsayer..Energy drinks category continues on an upswing and is one of the more profitable categories now as it is and its not really showing any signs *knocks on wood* of slowing down much..it will level off a bit but its going to be strong for quite some time to come.

This is all I read...

Unfounded opinions... blah blah blah... strong bias against energy drinks... blah blah blah... more unfounded opinions influenced by bias... blah blah blah... no research of any kind to back up statements

What kind of intoxicated rhetoric are you spewing out without any definitive data to back up your claims?
    I can provide you with at least 10 articles stating that the Energy Category is still in great shape. Some of the articles even go so far as to state that if it weren't for ED's that the beverage industry would be seeing less growth than if it still relied on CSD's for growth. Heck, just do a search on this site alone and you will find all the information you need to verify that ED's are still a good choice for distributors and retailers.

I notice that you are a distributor. Perhaps you are bringing in the wrong energy drink. Perhaps you aren't bringing in what your retailers and what your end users really want.

And were do you get off saying that 10's of millions of dollars are wasted? Yes, perhaps it seems that way, but for every failure we should learn something. Look how many car companies went of business before someone realized that perhaps mass production is best, or look how many software companies have come and gone because someone could do it better or more effeciently.
    You almost sound jaded because some joker came in and sold you some crap drink and now your salesmen can't move it because you bought a crap drink.
    Stop whining that the sky is falling and admit your mistake and move on. We all make mistakes when it comes to product selection. Stop carrying energy drinks, let your competitor sell them to the retailer and watch as his or her business thrives on higher margin sales while you sell your soda and Arizona tea and barely pay for the gas for your trucks with those paltry margins.

The end of Energy drinks is not imminent. The catgeory is, by some accounts, only 10 years old, it is still maturing. It is still evolving.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

I just went over some of your old posts and it seems you have tried or are trying to come out with your own drink.

By your last post, if you did come out with your own drink, you seem to be getting a lot of "NO's" when you try and sell it.

Welcome to brand ownership! If I got discouraged everytime I heard "no" I probably would have folded a long time ago and got a nice cushy job working 9-5 M-F making only enough money to support my alcohol habit.
    But you have to continue to persevere and press on. You can sell an energy drink. Retailers just don't open their doors for you like they used to. I say it again, the category is maturing, that means you must change the way you present, sell, market, price, etc. the energy drink.
    Don't give.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

While I am not saying that the energy drinks segment as a whole is slowing down, dying off, running stagnant or any other term to that effect, I do believe that there is a shakeup looming in the amount of drinks carried in the very near future. I believe that between monster, red bull, whatever coke brings in as a whole and whatever Pepsi brings in as a whole, possibly a FEW (meaning MAYBE 1-2 shelf) independant companies are what is going to be available to the masses. I am not saying that there will not be more brands available but I see the retailers saying "no more, this is what we are going to carry". I may be wrong but there is only so much space in cold vaults and the way coke, Pepsi, Bud, red bull contracts are worded/ enforced there just isn't going to be any room for any thing else. Most of the retailers would rather have the contract money from the previously mentioned companies than the "buy 5 get 2 free energy drink" company that will more than likely not be around long enough to place a second order.
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.