Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pepsi's "Have We Met Before?" campaign

The new Pepsi cans might have touched your mouth already. It's because they're launching a recycling campaign called "Have we Met Before" where at least 40% of the aluminum cans will be made from recycled material. On each can there's a fun recycling fact too, provided by the National Recycling Coalition.

There's plenty of them out there too -- 500 million regular pepsi cans and 250 million diets nationwide each month. Sounds like a good idea, yes? Especially since most people recycle if they get an extra nudge. I don't know anyone who's anti-recycling... The fun factoid on the can will be the nudge people need.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidlunch View Post
    The new Pepsi cans might have touched your mouth already. It's because they're launching a recycling campaign called "Have we Met Before" where at least 40% of the aluminum cans will be made from recycled material. On each can there's a fun recycling fact too, provided by the National Recycling Coalition.

There's plenty of them out there too -- 500 million regular pepsi cans and 250 million diets nationwide each month. Sounds like a good idea, yes? Especially since most people recycle if they get an extra nudge. I don't know anyone who's anti-recycling... The fun factoid on the can will be the nudge people need.
    I picked up a few Pepsi fridge packs last week that were produced on 4/04/08. They were the new
    can art. Just as liquidlunch described;very cool and IMO most artful design.
    Last edited by Mr Zabe; 04-17-2008 at 03:46 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

new pepsi can.jpg

Check out the photo of the new bright blue, eco Pepsi cans! Glad to hear that they're in fridge pack form.

I am anti-recycling for ANYTHING not aluminum can or glass bottle..its not efficient to recycle plastic bottles or even paper/cardboard. Just watch Penn and Teller's bull**** on recycling..it clears up a lot of misconceptions.

new pepsi can.jpg

Check out the photo of the new bright blue, eco Pepsi cans! Glad to hear that they're in fridge pack form.
    Here in Mexico, Pepsi is stucked with the first background designs, they haven't released new ones...

Please understand that the "National Recycling Coalition" is nothing more than a front group supported by the soft drink, grocery, and packaging industry which does little more than lobby against the most effective method of recycling beverage containers-bottle bills. Only half of the US has access to the taxpayer financed curbside recycling that the industry touts as the solution to beverage container disposal. The eleven states that have passed bottle bills recycle more soft drink containers than all of the other states combined. Quite frankly, the industry doesn't care what you do with your empty cans or bottles, as long as you don't ask it to assume responsibility for their disposal. This is a textbook example of corporate "greenwashing."

I think the "Have we met before?" slogan would better be applied to refillable containers, but of course we'll never see that happen.

I'd just like to see one concrete example of how the soft drink industry promotes recycling beyond front groups like Keep America Beautiful and the NRC. I certainly agree that recycling is a worthy goal, but a few nice looking Pepsi cans can't obscure the ugly anti-recycling campaigns the soft drink industry has been conducting for decades.
    Last edited by No Soda; 04-20-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    Drink responsibly....drink soda!

Greenwashing as it may be, I don't think that anti bottle bill is anti recycling.

Just as I don't expect Proctor and Gamble to pick up my empty Tide bottles, or Ikea to pick up the cardboard from my recent furniture purchases, I don't expect the soda companies to pick up my empty bottles and cans.

Recycling is reusing existing resources and keeping them out of landfills. This is best accomplished by companies who are in the business of recycling and waste managment - not companies involved in the production and distribution of soda.

Bottle bills add unnecessary costs to the end product (soda) and undue burden on the soda companies and retail establishments. The answer is curbside and dropoff recycling, just like with curbside and dropoff trash service.

When I lived in New Jersey, some stores even had can recycling machines, where you would get a voucher for the store and cash back, 50/50. I believe it was 1 in cash, 1 in voucher.

But, I digress. I am of the opinion that everywhere there is a trash can, it would be nice to have a single stream recycling bin as well.

Oh, and in response to your final comment.

Coca-Cola operates a recycling plant in Spartanburg, SC. And the bottlers are also putting recycling centers in their production facilities.

Why is it fair that the only items in a supermarket that you pay a deposit on are beer and soda? You eco-maniacs need to get a life.

I think it's very easy to criticize Pepsi for launching a recycling program, especially with so many different news sources telling us the BEST ways we SHOULD be recycling. But at the end of the day I think Pepsi should be lauded because the point here is that a) they have recycled 40% of this can and b) the quotes serve as reminders (since we all need one) that you should re-recycle this can too and continue the cycle. That's where having more recycling bins enters the discussion, fusion. You're totally right. I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the report, Ram0n C0keah0lic. Anyone else seen or not seen the new cans?