Bevboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default More on Cokes test of 16oz and 24oz single serve

USA Today has an article in today's (5-6-08) Money section on Coke and Pepsi testing smaller single serve packages. The Coke Consolidated test that was posted here earlier was mentioned. Also mentioned was CCE will be testing 16oz cans and bottles at .99 cents and PBG will be testing .99 cent 12oz and 16oz in select markets by Memorial Day. The article said that 7-11 is not on board for Cokes tests for dumping 20oz and has their own plan to increase sales of single serve
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

So they are going to just push the 12oz bottles they are currently selling in multipacks as singles now? Several years ago, I remember seeing some small C-stores in Colorado "break" 16oz PET 6-packs of Pepsi products and sell them singly. They weren't supposed to that, of course, but I remember seeing them.
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    So they are going to just push the 12oz bottles they are currently selling in multipacks as singles now? Several years ago, I remember seeing some small C-stores in Colorado "break" 16oz PET 6-packs of Pepsi products and sell them singly. They weren't supposed to that, of course, but I remember seeing them.
    Same thing happend to the 24oz Pepsi Pet 6-packs.

Ingles Supermarket in the South would have them on sale for 2 $4- That is essentially a case (volume wise). The independent C-store operators would go in there and blow them out and sell them in thier stores as singles for the same price as a 20oz.
    What it came down to was the independent would essentially be buying a case of 24oz singles for roughly $4.50(incl Tax) instead of buying the 20oz case for +/- $20
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

This seems more like a trick, cause I could see myself buying the $1.49 24oz bottle over the smaller cheaper bottle.

Thumbs down

i find it a bit suspicious that, both, coke and pepsi are trying this at the same time. aren't their laws against that?

basically, it sounds like what they're gonna do is give us less and charge the same price...

Do the math.

99 16oz = .061875/oz

$1.49 20oz = .0745/oz
    $1.39 20oz = .0695/oz
    $1.29 20oz = .0645/oz
    $1.19 20oz = .0595/oz

20oz are mostly $1.49 in my area. So the 16oz bottle will be a lot better deal.

Look at the big picture:
    Both Coke and Pepsi have made announcments to "Go Green" essentially. By offering 16oz products at a cheaper price it looks like the consumer wins by getting a cost per oz savings. However, in reality they actually could do more volume but SHOW that they used less plactic thereby creating the idea of them being better for the environment. -----Environmental Corporate Stewarship
    Furthermore the price strategy is in play: a 16 oz will be recognized as the new single serve and consumers will get used to it, eventually the price will creep up to a $1.09, $1.19, and so on just as the 20oz has.

It is corporate management manipulating the psychology of the consumer. Briliant idea if you ask me.

Another fact is the absurd attention that the beverage companies are getting and being held responsible for the obesity epidemic in the United States. By offering smaller portions and a better price they will not lose any customers while still getting the benefit of saying they are doing their part for better choices( or at least offering choices with fewer overall calories). If some guy now buys 2 16oz drinks to replace the 4oz he is losing then the manufacturer wins yet again.

I for one can not finish a 20 oz soda so rarely do I ever buy one. 12 oz is enough........but for some reason a Quart of beer goes down just fine!!! LOL
    Last edited by greg; 05-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

I believe the 16oz will do great...... .99 is a great price point that people look for

Both Coke and Pepsi already did this in the Carolinas several years ago. Coke had 13.2oz bottles and Pepsi had a smaller bottle.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?