Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tropicana redesign being pulled

Well, that didn't take long.

From The New York Times:
    The PepsiCo Americas Beverages division of PepsiCo is bowing to public demand and scrapping the changes made to a flagship product, Tropicana Pure Premium orange juice. Redesigned packaging that was introduced in early January is being discontinued, executives plan to announce on Monday, and the previous version will be brought back in the next month.
    Full story

Ooops!

Awww...I really liked it.

Wow!, that's a weird move, considering PepsiCo. already made an advertising campaign with the new Tropicana logo, I saw some of the print ads in some american magazines...

I wonder if that will happen with Gatorade too...

That's unfortunate as I really liked the new Tropicana imaging. I thought the new packaging stood out seeing how so many other OJ brands feature oranges and/or orange trees on their packaging. I always thought the straw in the orange image was a bit hokey also.

I've been hearing many negative comments about the new Pepsi and Diet Pepsi imaging. You have to wonder if Pepsico is rethinking that line of imaging as well.

I'm the odd ball. LOL
    I do not like the new design.
    IMO...from the shelf perspective, the new design
    does not grab my attention (based on visual impulse).
    I'm from the old school, if it works then don't change it or
    just tweak the design.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

The redesign was clean, but it threw away a lot of brand equity, in my opinion. Namely all the time and effort that Tropicana has made to pretty much "own" the idea of a straw into an orange. And I would agree that the redesign did put it into "store brand" categories.

That said, they could have kept some historical elements and integrated that into a new overall look and probably been solid. (Which probably can be said for the Pepsi logo redesign as well. I like the look, minus the ever changing appearance of the Pepsi globe depending on product)

[double post]
    Last edited by Tannerman; 02-23-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Mr T (LOL)
    Very well said. You really summed it up good.
    I agree with your points 100%.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

I have to agree with those who said the new look was dull and made it look like a store brand. Though I did think that making the cap look like an orange was a neat idea.

Of course, it seems like the new looks for Pepsi and Mountain, er, Mtn Dew have been getting a lot more flack. So why not change those back? Then again, they don't seem to be in any rush to get the new looks for some Pepsi variants out (even Caffeine Free still has its old look here), and the new bottles for the Throwbacks are a big step in the right direction. So they may be starting to realize that their attempts at re-imaging their products have been largely unsuccessful.

I'm curious as to whether or not Tropicana suffered any sales loss with the new packaging (and this is a part of the story we're not getting). Anecdotal evidence (i.e. the handful of people I've struck up a conversation with regarding this topic) have all mentioned that they thought Tropicana had been discontinued, as they didn't recognize the new packaging as belonging to Tropicana.