Diet Coke 10.0%
    Mt Dew 6.8%
    Dr Pepper 6.1%
    Diet Pepsi 5.7%
    Sprite 5.6%
    Fanta 1.8%
    Diet Mt Dew 1.8%
    Diet Dr Pepper 1.6%

so, once again, Coke Zero misses the top 10, though it's annual growth rate was 36%. Pepsi Max grew at 25%.

also of interest... if recent trends continue, Diet Coke will overtake Pepsi as the #2 soda in the US next year. perhaps that explains the new pepsi logo design. additionally, Dr Pepper overtook Diet Pepsi last year and it's likely that Sprite will overtake Diet Pepsi this year. i don't really have an explanation why Diet Pepsi lost so much market share this year (perhaps Pepsi Max accounts for some of it, but clearly not all of it). Diet Pepsi actually declined more in case volume than Coke Classic, even though Coke outsells Diet Pepsi by 3x.

for the full story and statistics, follow the link:
    http://www.beverage-digest.com/pdf/top-10_2009.pdf
    Last edited by popologist; 04-08-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Cool

i did some number crunching and, based on other stories i've read on Coke Zero this year, CZ's market share is about 1.5%--just shy of the Top 10.

according to this report, Coke Zero's case volume grew at 36%... or, according to my calculations (which are just estimates), it's case volume grew by about 40 million cases... for a total of about 150 million cases (give or take).

if it's growth continues at a similar pace in 2009... let's say 30% (though it could actually be higher if it is added to more restaurants/fountains), then it's total volume in 2009 would be about 200 million cases... for a total of 1.8%-2.0% market share... which should finally get it into the Top 10.

it should also be pointed out that Coke Zero's growth probably accounted for most of Diet Coke's volume decline (30 million cases)... and some of Coke Classic's decline (40 million cases).

here's a list of case volume gain/decline in 2008 (in millions):

Coke Zero +40.0 (est.)
    Mt Dew +6.6
    Diet Mt Dew +6.5
    Diet Dr Pepper +3.6
    Dr Pepper +0.2
    Fanta -1.8
    Sprite -16.6
    Diet Coke -29.7
    Coke -42.7
    Diet Pepsi -44.6
    Pepsi -68.9

i think these case numbers give some perspective as to why pepsi made such drastic changes to its logos. those case volume declines had to be alarming. it will be very embarrassing to Pepsico if Diet Coke knocks Pepsi out of the #2 spot.
    Last edited by popologist; 03-30-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Those volume numbers do give show why Pepsico made the big logo change.

On the sales numbers, do they include flavor variations of each product? Under Fanta, for example, does it include all flavors (orange, grape,...), is Cherry Coke included with Coca Cola, etc.?

BTW, the new Pepsi and Diet Pepsi logos haven't arrived here yet... only the new Pepsi Max logo (as Pepsi Kick)

Cool

from what i understand, each variation is counted separately. for example, Caffeine Free Diet Coke is counted separately from Diet Coke... and the same goes for the cherry varieties.

the only exception i've ever heard was fanta (but that was never confirmed), though it probably wouldn't make much difference. i'm pretty sure that almost all of fanta's case volume comes from the orange variety.

but maybe someone else can confirm this.

i think the reason that pepsi and diet pepsi are sliding faster than coke and diet coke is because coke products are in more restaurants/fountains... so, while people may be cutting back on the amount of soda they buy at the supermarket b/c of the recession (which would probably effect coke and pepsi about equally)... at restaurants, where coke dominates by a huge margin, people may simply swap going to more expensive restaurants for going to cheaper places... which also sell coke products (and pepsi is less of an option).

that's one of my theories.

my other theory is that, because pepsi has always targeted the youth market, it is losing more market share now because it is primarily youths who are moving to other types of drinks (i.e. waters & energy drinks). meanwhile, their moms are still sipping diet coke. again, just a theory... but it might explain the new logos' more "sophisticated" look...

Quote Originally Posted by CitrusCola View Post
    Those volume numbers do give show why Pepsico made the big logo change.

On the sales numbers, do they include flavor variations of each product? Under Fanta, for example, does it include all flavors (orange, grape,...), is Cherry Coke included with Coca Cola, etc.?
    Last edited by popologist; 03-30-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Cool

i think the new logos may have actually hurt their sales... but we won't really know for another year. i don't know what they were thinking. the coke section of the soda aisle is so much more vibrant than the pepsi one now. the navy blue pepsi background is almost invisible. they're going to have to change that. pepsi was always the "fun, youthful" cola... but that logo doesn't say that, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram0n C0keah0lic View Post
    BTW, the new Pepsi and Diet Pepsi logos haven't arrived here yet... only the new Pepsi Max logo (as Pepsi Kick)

Coke Zero would have made the top ten if Diet Dr Pepper hadn't grown as much as it did.

Cool

this article points out that most of the growth in the soda industry comes from restaurants and fountains. so this kind of backs up one of my theories.
    Pepsi vs. Coke

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    Coke Zero would have made the top ten if Diet Dr Pepper hadn't grown as much as it did.
    there are a lot of sodas bunched up around the 1.5% region--CF Diet Coke, Sierra Mist, etc. but none of them have the growth rate of Coke Zero.

CZ has grown consistently at above 30% since its introduction. of course, it's still at the low-end of the spectrum, so it's easier to grow 36% in a year. even so, it's very likely that it will finally crack the Top 10 this year.

with that kind of growth rate, you'd think that Coke would put CZ everywhere it could (i.e., McDonalds, etc)... but i suspect that they're holding back a little for the sake of Diet Coke. i can only imagine that they really... REALLY... want DC to overtake Pepsi as the #2 soda. it'd be a huge coup and i'm sure they'd put it in commercials. i mean, who wouldn't?
    Last edited by popologist; 03-30-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ram0n C0keah0lic View Post
    did "new coke" ever reach mexico? i don't think so.

it's very possible if the new pepsi logos are a flop in the US, then they won't be rolled out everywhere else.