Bevboard

Default Barq's: Caffeine Or Not?

I'll start by saying that I love Barq's. But I don't like caffeine. I quit drinking it about four years ago now, but I've continued to drink Barq's because it says, on the 20 oz bottle, that it's caffeine free. I'm looking at one as I'm writing this, and it says it, in bright red lettering.
    Well, last night, I was drinking the Barq's cream soda and my friend and I got into an arguement that it has caffeine. We both looked it up and found that the red cream soda doesn't, but regular Barq's does. Now I'm confused. Like I said, there is a 20 oz bottle of Barq's sitting right in front of me and it says in bright red lettering "NO CAFFEINE". So what's the deal?
    I read that Utah has caffeine free Barq's, and I live in Wyoming. I'm thinking that may be the case? Any insight? I'm looking for an explanation to this mystery because I'd really hate to have to give up my favorite beverage.

I'm not quite sure I understand the problem here. You have been drinking Barq's for four years, and your pretty sure it doesn't have caffeine in it, and it hasn't been an issue. If you find out it does have caffeine, you are going to stop drinking it? Why don't you just keep drinking it, and remain blissfully unaware?

I believe that only the root beer has caffeine.

The bottler in Utah (Swire Coca-Cola) does have territory in southeastern Wyoming, so it is possible that they shipped caffeine free root beer there.

Caffeine is an added ingredient in root beer, so it would have to be listed in the ingredients list.

The only Barq's that has caffeine is the regular root beer. The diet root beer, and all the creme variants are caffeine free.

http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/m..._nutrition.pdf
    Last edited by fusion; 04-07-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Yeah, Diet Barq's doesn't have the caffeine, and the cans on the diet are kind of deceptive, the graphics don't scream "diet" like some sodas do.
    Give me some cane sugar Pepsi in a glass bottle!!

I don't think I will quit drinking it, because I thought the same thing. It hasn't been a problem, so I should just remain blissfully unaware because it's too tasty to give up. I was just confused as to why some Barq's rootbeer bottles are caffeine free and some aren't. The Utah bottling company is the only explanation I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by kyndrawr View Post
    I don't think I will quit drinking it, because I thought the same thing. It hasn't been a problem, so I should just remain blissfully unaware because it's too tasty to give up. I was just confused as to why some Barq's rootbeer bottles are caffeine free and some aren't. The Utah bottling company is the only explanation I can come up with.
    I like the way you think sir(or madam).