Bevboard


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Steuben County New York State
    Posts
    1,815

    Default Pepsi Max and Pepsi One

    What's going on with Pepsi Max? I saw a fold out ad in Maxim that states Pepsi Max is the first diet cola for men. I thought that was Pepsi Ones claim. Also the New Max packaging looks too much like Pepsi One and the references to Ginseng and other herbs (except in the ingrediant listing), or whatever, are missing. Is this the end of One?
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,752

    Cool

    i read something on wikipedia a few months ago that said Pepsi One was going to be discontinued (but wikipedia is not always a reliable source... and that info is not longer in the P1 article).

    my guess is that P1 will be scrapped and Max will be Pepsi's response to Coke Zero. i'm pretty sure P1's market share has been falling for years and Max's has been growing. i have no inside information though; and it's possible that pepsi will keep P1 around as pepsi's answer to Diet Coke Splenda... but it's not a good sign that they didn't redesign the logo for P1.

    personally, i think P1 tastes better than Max (though not as good as Zero).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popologist View Post
    i read something on wikipedia a few months ago that said Pepsi One was going to be discontinued (but wikipedia is not always a reliable source... and that info is not longer in the P1 article).

    my guess is that P1 will be scrapped and Max will be Pepsi's response to Coke Zero. i'm pretty sure P1's market share has been falling for years and Max's has been growing. i have no inside information though; and it's possible that pepsi will keep P1 around as pepsi's answer to Diet Coke Splenda... but it's not a good sign that they didn't redesign the logo for P1.

    personally, i think P1 tastes better than Max (though not as good as Zero).
    Just curious on how either pepsi product would be a response to one of cokes products since max has been around since the early 90s and one has been around since 98?? zero and diet coke splenda were introduced when?
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Douglas, WY
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    Well, I think the current version of Max might be, as previous versions weren't the faux-diet-energy-drink thing that Max is now.

    I like P1 better, and I'll keep buying it as long as it's available.
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,752

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint View Post
    Just curious on how either pepsi product would be a response to one of cokes products since max has been around since the early 90s and one has been around since 98?? zero and diet coke splenda were introduced when?
    well, that's only half-true.

    yes, Max was introduced overseas before Coke Zero, but it wasn't introduced in the US until 2007, after Coke Zero.

    Pepsi One (the way i understand it) was the name Pepsico used for Max in the US when it was introduced in 1997, and originally was Pepsico's "ace-k & aspartame" sweetened diet soda. however, in 2005, P1 switched to sucralose (splenda) & ace-k.

    here's the timeline, the way i understand it:

    Pepsi Max (aspartame/ace-k) intro overseas 1994
    Pepsi One (aspartame/ace-k) intro in US 1997
    Coke Zero (aspartame/ace-k) intro in US 2004
    Diet Coke Splenda (splenda/ace-k) intro in US 2005
    Pepsi One (splenda/ace-k) intro in US 2005
    Diet Pepsi Max (aspartame/ace-k) intro & reformulated in US 2007

    so, while the brand names Pepsi Max and Pepsi One existed before Coke Zero and Diet Coke with Splenda, their current formulations were introduced after of the corresponding Coke products... and since diet sodas are primarily distinguished by which sweetener they use... you can't really call the Pepsi One of 2007 the same as the P1 of 2005--i've had them both and they taste different (because of the sweetener).

    anyway, my point was... Pepsico seemed to abandon P1 as its "male diet soda" due to the success of Coke Zero. P1 was losing market share fast and Coke Zero was (and is) growing by leaps and bounds. which is when Pepsico introduced (diet) Pepsi Max in the US, advertising it as their "male diet cola". to pretend that Pepsi Max was Pepsi One all along is a little disingenious. clearly, it's reformulation is a direct response to the success of Coke Zero.
    Last edited by popologist; 04-18-2009 at 07:57 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    It is possible Android, but from what we are told at work it is the same thing as the overseas counterpart except it has some ginseng and more caffiene added in it. Whether or not this is true remains to be told.

    FYI, we have not been told of P1 being discontinued anytime soon, but we are always the last to know things like that it seems.
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popologist View Post
    well, that's only half-true.

    yes, Max was introduced overseas before Coke Zero, but it wasn't introduced in the US until 2007, after Coke Zero.

    Pepsi One (the way i understand it) was the name Pepsico used for Max in the US when it was introduced in 1997, and originally was Pepsico's "ace-k & aspartame" sweetened diet soda. however, in 2005, P1 switched to sucralose & ace-k.

    here's the timeline, the way i understand it:

    Pepsi Max (aspartame/ace-k) intro overseas 1994
    Pepsi One (aspartame/ace-k) intro in US 1997
    Coke Zero (aspartame/ace-k) intro in US 2004
    Diet Coke Splenda (splenda/ace-k) intro in US 2005
    Pepsi One (splenda/ace-k) intro in US 2005
    Diet Pepsi Max (aspartame/ace-k) intro & reformulated in US 2007

    so, while the brand names Pepsi Max and Pepsi One existed before Coke Zero and Diet Coke with Splenda, their current formulations were introduced after each.
    Oh so that makes coca cola classic cokes answer to pepsi then. Since it was formulated after pepsi was back in the 80s to hfcs. Now that coca cola classic is removing the classic from their name and strictly being coca cola, that puts pepsi at least 20 years older than coca cola. thanks for clearing that up. All this time I have been told rumors that coca cola had been around longer than pepsi and pepsi was a copycat drink.
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,752

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint View Post
    Oh so that makes coca cola classic cokes answer to pepsi then. Since it was formulated after pepsi was back in the 80s to hfcs. Now that coca cola classic is removing the classic from their name and strictly being coca cola, that puts pepsi at least 20 years older than coca cola. thanks for clearing that up. All this time I have been told rumors that coca cola had been around longer than pepsi and pepsi was a copycat drink.
    fine. have it your way. pepsi max and pepsi one were introduced before coke zero. coke zero is just more successful.

    it's actually very similar to what happened with diet pepsi and diet coke. diet pepsi was released a decade or two before diet coke, but diet coke leapfrogged it as soon as it was released... which led pepsico to reformulate diet pepsi several times afterwards (and i'm not just talking about the sweeteners).

    happy now?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Pepsi max is better tasting than diet pepsi because it uses the ace-k- aspartame mix, while diet pepsi only uses the aspartame. I would drink max more often if it's caffeine content wasn't through the roof. Pepsico either needs to make the max with less caffeine to get the coke zero drinkers (my second fav. diet drink) , or bite the bullet and put ace-k in the diet pepsi to make it taste better. Pepsi one is a splenda drink, to me a niche brand. If drinkers want their splenda, they can get it through diet coke splenda--terrible stuff IMO, or diet rite splenda. To me the future of splenda diet drinks is weak.
    real Sugar, not HFCS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    It has nothing to do with happy or unhappy, my way or your way. Fact is fact, you stated that max was pepsi answer to coke zero when in fact max has been around longer, it doesn't matter which one sells more. I am not arguing that max sells more. Same with one/dcs, I was arguing that neither pepsi product could be an answer to either coke product, it would be the other way around.
    To argue sales on pepsi vs. coke would just be retarded. Coke outsells pepsi just by the sheer volume of fountain machines and vending machines worldwide. It doesn't make coke a superior product it doesn't make pepsi an inferior product, it just makes coke sell more product.


    I also think that the future of splenda drinks is not long for this world. The doctors and scientists of the world will figure out how bad splenda actually is for the human body and will start publishing reports on its effects. Splenda is no match for Stevia in my opinion, i think once coke/pepsi figure out how to make their diet drinks, or even their hfcs drinks taste close to what they do now stevia will become the sweetener of choice and splenda will fade away.
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •