Bevboard

Default State of Category

Any one know the current sales trend in the energy category....up, down or flat '09 v '08 so far (or '08 v '07)?

Energy category is up slightly through May (+3%) but that does not include shots which may be cannibalizing sales.

Best way to follow is by listening to Hansen's quarterly conference call, the CEO often reads the lastest Nielsen information.

Quote Originally Posted by foods fluids & beyond View Post
    Energy category is up slightly through May (+3%) but that does not include shots which may be cannibalizing sales.

Best way to follow is by listening to Hansen's quarterly conference call, the CEO often reads the lastest Nielsen information.
    To be honest I'm more interested with Dr Pepper / 7 Up's Q reports because these past couple of quarters they've been trying out new ground with their Venom line so if that goes well then it's likely that people are generally spending well in the energy market. I am interested in Hansen's reports, don't get me wrong there, it's just that I'm more interested in how people are reacting to a first-of-its-kind line extension.

Overall I would say it's probably pretty flat; some people are kind of holding back but the energy market is changing on a daily basis with new drinks/versions getting both introduced and discontinued on a daily basis. Once the American recession lifts the energy market is probably going to skyrocket.
    "Don't jump off the bridge when everyone else does; you never know how deep the water is." -myself

Default DP workin hard

They must be working hard because I have seen many Venom Displays out there and my website has a lot of traffic to the Black Mamba page recently. I am assuming it is because a lot of people are seeing Venom when they are at the store.
    banned

They're barely pushing it around here, no ads or displays in my area. They do have all four flavors, and the first two in 4 packs (took them a while to get those, though).

DPS did also go out and sign a bunch of athletes to represent Venom, so that exposure could have also increased traffic.

BevNET.com: Venom Energy Drink Scores With Major Sports Superstars

Default Halcyon days

Unfortunately there is a wave of consolidation coming. Our wild west is to be turned into fenced pastures. I'm sad to see it go.