Bevboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Soda tax considered by the feds

I think the Democrats would be absolutely stupid to enact this. There are plenty of soda drinkers that could remember this come election time. What's next? A Candy Tax? Whole Milk Tax? Pizza Tax? Anything that Big Brother apparently deems you shouldn't consume.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Senate leaders are considering new federal taxes on soda and other sugary drinks to help pay for an overhaul of the nation's health-care system.

The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. They also could spark a backlash from consumers who would have to pay several cents more for a soft drink.

Full story at the link

Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care - WSJ.com

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveUrsine View Post
    I think the Democrats would be absolutely stupid to enact this. There are plenty of soda drinkers that could remember this come election time. What's next? A Candy Tax? Whole Milk Tax? Pizza Tax? Anything that Big Brother apparently deems you shouldn't consume.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Senate leaders are considering new federal taxes on soda and other sugary drinks to help pay for an overhaul of the nation's health-care system.

The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. They also could spark a backlash from consumers who would have to pay several cents more for a soft drink.

Full story at the link

Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care - WSJ.com
    oh, this is just the beginning...

remember that pledge not to raise taxes on anyone making over $250k? well, it's now down to $235k... and will probably drop further.

Already attempted and failed in New York State.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by drpep View Post
    Already attempted and failed in New York State.
    Same thing for the City of Chicago.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Actually a bit inaccurate, It's only a tax on HFCS beverages. Diet ones are spared.

A dig at subsidies I think? Although just removing them would be easier, It would probably anger the corn lobby.

As for 235k instead of 250k..it's potatoes. I mean no one on this site makes near enough to start complaining about that, and historically it's still quite a low rate.

Five states, including mine, have soda taxes. However these have pretty much gone down to insignificance because they are set as an flat excise. Here in WV it was 1c/12 oz when invented in 1954 (and a standard bottle was still 5c, meaning it was a whopping 20% tax) and its still 1c (meaning its about a 0.03% tax).

Without going deep into politics, these types of taxes, combined with hyper-inflation, are all a part of the plan. There are STILL people, however who believe that taxes have been cut, that money has been spent on something called a "stimilus" and/or there are people who do not have "health care".

Quote Originally Posted by electronicmaji View Post
    Actually a bit inaccurate, It's only a tax on HFCS beverages. Diet ones are spared.

A dig at subsidies I think? Although just removing them would be easier, It would probably anger the corn lobby.

As for 235k instead of 250k..it's potatoes. I mean no one on this site makes near enough to start complaining about that, and historically it's still quite a low rate.
    It doesn't matter how much money you make. We can all find a reason to state our feelings about the current tax scheme in the US right now.
    How about Congress stop spending so much money and then we wouldnt have to have such high tax rates.
    This goes for all members of Congress Both Republican and Democrat and the couple of Independents.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by electronicmaji View Post
    just another reason to drink Coke Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    It doesn't matter how much money you make. We can all find a reason to state our feelings about the current tax scheme in the US right now.
    How about Congress stop spending so much money and then we wouldnt have to have such high tax rates.
    This goes for all members of Congress Both Republican and Democrat and the couple of Independents.
    Tax rates in the USA are fine. Having lived internationally, our rates are actually pretty low.

Despite this it depends also on the state you live in, and the lower your taxes usually the worse public services are.

How did everyone think Obama was going to pay for universal healthcare without taxing incomes... by taxing products you buy claiming it'll have some specific benefit... its a way around his promise of nobody making under 250K will see their income taxes go up, just every other tax they can come up with... sneaky... sneaky...

weren't gas taxes supposed to improve roadways and increase fuel economy?

weren't cigarette taxes supposed to pay for healthcare and reduce smoking?

To some limited degree those are true, but the vast majority did not do that... they just allowed them to be less efficient in using exsisting money by having more bloated dollars to spend... go government!

So now a soda tax, a fast food tax, and any other consumeable product tax they come up with, won't really change our lives for the better... just allow them to be less efficient at spending money they already have... and blame the other party for the problem... that's politics.

I'm all for taxes and new programs to try and better our lives, but they need to start eliminating the programs that show they don't work, or aren't giving us a good return on the money... don't just keep throwing more money on a problem, if your solution isn't solving it, re-adjust your approach to the problem, not throw more money at the same failing way.

I need a Cherry DrPepper now.