Bevboard


Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Soda market

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    26

    Default Soda market

    Coke and Pepsi showing any increase in sales or are they still trending down compared to their non carb brands?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,752

    Cool

    from what i've read, they expect this year to be tough, but for things to turn around in 2010. they've been losing volume since about 2002 (i think), but are expecting a bottom sometime soon.

    what i'm waiting to see is whether diet coke will finally pass pepsi as #2... or whether pepsi will manage to stave off a major upset. it's gonna be close. and pepsi surely won't go down without a fight.

    of course, i'd also like to see coke zero finally crack the top ten. that's my favorite drink.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    644

    Default

    My prediction from an infield perspective is that diet pepsi will make a turnaround ..expect much with this new logo a LOT has not been played yet and it has so much marketing potential as of yet tapped into. I doubt d.coke will surpass Pepsi..but with all the "seasonal" flavors that take away from the core pepsi that seems to happen often. Vault zero gone now and in the foreseeable future? Is there chance for ANY comeback or is it doomed for failure..vault brand as a whole that is? I mean millions of dollars spent and for what? Same with VW whats going on with it? In our area and in many stores our Lifewater seems to be on pace to beat it out market share AND volume wise..our pricing trends are better..and our newly designed bottles make our product look far less generic. I see a lot more potential in M.Dew as a whole and it will continue its growth and wipe off the crumbs that are its "competition" ..people are buying less soda tho as a whole..inflation and job losses have contributed to that highly but I believe consumers have too much of a connection with CSDs to let it go down that far especially in its largest market(USA).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,752

    Cool

    YEAR ..2008 ..2007 ..2006 ..2005
    pepsi ...10.3 ...10.7 ...11.0 ...11.2
    d.coke .10.0 ...10.0 ....9.8 .....9.8

    these are the market share numbers from the last 4 years. if pepsi continues declining at its current rate and diet coke holds steady, diet coke will pass pepsi as the #2 soft drink in the US... this year.

    like i said above. it's going to be close this year, and i'm sure that, both, pepsico and coca-cola are well aware of the stakes... which is probably why pepsi updated its logos.
    Last edited by popologist; 06-01-2009 at 05:59 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Are that many people insane? Diet Coke tastes terrible!

    Sorry, I've felt that way ever since its introduction.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,752

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    Are that many people insane? Diet Coke tastes terrible!

    Sorry, I've felt that way ever since its introduction.
    i agree. of the leading brands of diet colas, i think diet coke is one of the worst... but i know a lot of people who actually PREFER it to regular coke and pepsi. (go figure!)

    here's how i'd rank them now:
    Coke Zero - tastes like regular Coke to me
    Pepsi One (before they added Splenda) - tasted almost like regular Pepsi
    Diet Pepsi - tastes like watered-down Pepsi with too much sugar
    Diet Coke - tastes like artificially sweetened aluminum
    Pepsi Max - tastes like black pepper (i almost threw it out)
    Tab - tastes like a 9-volt battery

    but it all boils down to personal preference... and, for some reason, more people prefer Diet Coke to the others. i believe taste tests back that up as well, but i'm not certain.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chicago,IL
    Posts
    4,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popologist View Post
    i agree. of the leading brands of diet colas, i think diet coke is one of the worst... but i know a lot of people who actually PREFER it to regular coke and pepsi. (go figure!)

    here's how i'd rank them now:
    Coke Zero - tastes like regular Coke to me
    Pepsi One (before they added Splenda) - tasted almost like regular Pepsi
    Diet Pepsi - tastes like watered-down Pepsi with too much sugar
    Diet Coke - tastes like artificially sweetened aluminum
    Pepsi Max - tastes like black pepper (i almost threw it out)
    Tab - tastes like a 9-volt battery

    but it all boils down to personal preference... and, for some reason, more people prefer Diet Coke to the others. i believe taste tests back that up as well, but i'm not certain.
    I wonder how I ever drank that swill (TAB) back in the 70's. LOL
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,752

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Zabe View Post
    I wonder how I ever drank that swill (TAB) back in the 70's. LOL
    didn't TaB have something called "cyclamates" in it back then? and did that have an aftertaste like saccharin or was it better?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popologist View Post
    i agree. of the leading brands of diet colas, i think diet coke is one of the worst... but i know a lot of people who actually PREFER it to regular coke and pepsi. (go figure!)

    here's how i'd rank them now:
    Coke Zero - tastes like regular Coke to me
    Pepsi One (before they added Splenda) - tasted almost like regular Pepsi
    Diet Pepsi - tastes like watered-down Pepsi with too much sugar
    Diet Coke - tastes like artificially sweetened aluminum
    Pepsi Max - tastes like black pepper (i almost threw it out)
    Tab - tastes like a 9-volt battery

    but it all boils down to personal preference... and, for some reason, more people prefer Diet Coke to the others. i believe taste tests back that up as well, but i'm not certain.
    I don't drink diet colas very often, but I can agree with your assessment. I've just learned to only drink 1 or maybe 2 sodas a day since I'm not young anymore and will put on the pounds. haha

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Ok
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    I don't drink diet colas very often, but I can agree with your assessment. I've just learned to only drink 1 or maybe 2 sodas a day since I'm not young anymore and will put on the pounds. haha
    you mean that is why I am fat??? I only drink about 1 case a week, is that too much? haha
    If what you did yesterday still looks big, you haven't done much today.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •