Bevboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Consequences of Gatorade's "G"

Gatorade stumbles after makeover
    GMA SmartBrief | 07/23/2009

A re-branding that put the letter "G" instead of "Gatorade" on the sports drink appears to be the second makeover backfire for PepsiCo, after the one for Tropicana. Volume sales of Gatorade for the first six months of this year dropped 17.5%, and market share slipped 4.5%, to about 75% of the sports-drink market. Wall Street Journal, The (07/23)

Gatorade stumbles after makeover - Related Stories - GMA SmartBrief

Gatorade is the Brand!!! The "G" was stupid...nobody ever said, " Hey grab me a bottle of G when you go to the store"
    G Is like just using X for Xerox Copy where XEROX has become synonomous with any document reproduction or using K when talking about Kleenex. Kleenex is a brand and the product is a tissue, but everyone just calls it Kleenex no matter what brand it is.
    I think someone is trying to hard to think out of the box at Pepsico or the marketing company that came up with these dumb ideas.
    Whether you think can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right!

I have seen this first-hand. Wal-Mart back rooms are filling up with "G" because the warehouses keep forcing it out to the stores, and it's just not selling like it used to. One store actually made us take down a Powerade display, because we were selling too much, and "G" wasn't selling enough.

The "catch 22" of dumb store management. Cutting back a good seller to even out sales of a slow moving brand is backA$$ at best.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Cool

pepsi is trying way too hard to be "cool" and it's backfiring all over the place.

i went to the store to pick up some G2 about a month ago and accidentally picked up G (aka Gatorade) because the packaging looks almost identical. so, my guess is that a lot of consumers see "G" and think it's G2... and they don't want G2.

i doubt there's the same confusion with the new pepsi logo, but... it's so dull. that navy blue just doesn't work for soda pop. i mean, it's pretty bad when your flagship brand has the lousiest packaging. i can only imagine how much it's hurting their sales.

if diet coke finally passes pepsi in market share this year (which is very possible), don't be surprised if they change the pepsi logo again... and promptly.

Now they're even messing with their shelving. I found this setup at an Acme grocery store here in Delaware today:

Cool

who's in-charge at pepsi anyway?!?

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    Now they're even messing with their shelving. I found this setup at an Acme grocery store here in Delaware today:

Speak about confusing the average sports drink impulse consumer!
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Cool

i guess the point of the new layout is so people don't have to reach for a bottle on the back of the shelf, but that doesn't change the fact that the new labels are confusing.

Here in Mexico instead of the "G", Pepsico Mexico released another logo for Gatorade... I'll post a pic later...