Bevboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Heritage Dr Pepper

In the Pepsi Throwback to return discussion, there were a few mentions about a retro Dr Pepper product rumored to appear...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    My boss called me to tell me that his Pepsi sales rep told him they were bringing back Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback...

... and this time, there's going to be a Dr. Pepper Throwback?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    I don't see how there would be a Dr Pepper Throwback, considering Dr Pepper isn't a Pepsico product. However there have been rumors here back like 2-3 years ago that Pepper would try a cane-sugar limited edition at some point. I don't think it went past test-markets though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mofizz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there will indeed be a Dr. Pepper "throwback" type beverage coming out about the same time as the Dew/Pepsi Throwback. I believe it's called Dr. Pepper Heritage.
    I talked to my contact at Dr Pepper Snapple Group the other day and they were able to confirm that a "drink of that type" was going to arrive First Quarter 2010, "with sugar" and produced "with Pepsi".

Today a BevReview reader sent me a photo of a can he bought at a Wal-mart in Indiana:

So I guess it is happening!

- Steve

I got word today that DP Heritage will only be available to Pepsi bottlers that carry Dr. Pepper. This could be interesting.

Now I'm really excited!
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

It would seem odd that the company would favor Pepsi bottlers (who make up about 40% of the total) over Coke bottlers and especially over the independent and company owned ones.

My gut on that is that Dr Pepper Snapple already had a relationship with the top Pepsi bottlers, especially when it came to carrying Crush and the like. With Pepsi buying out their two top bottlers, DPSG renegotiated with Pepsi to ensure continued distribution. Plus, if these are really going to be produced side-by-side along with the Throwbacks, one might speculate that they are tapping into the same cane/beet sugar sources on the bottling side.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannerman View Post
    My gut on that is that Dr Pepper Snapple already had a relationship with the top Pepsi bottlers, especially when it came to carrying Crush and the like. With Pepsi buying out their two top bottlers, DPSG renegotiated with Pepsi to ensure continued distribution. Plus, if these are really going to be produced side-by-side along with the Throwbacks, one might speculate that they are tapping into the same cane/beet sugar sources on the bottling side.
    It's the cane/beet sugar manufacturing process that is the key. It has some sort of fancy designation (CAT3?). Pepsi invested a little in getting plants able to do this, and yes they are using the same sugar sources for bottling.

I think the idea is that Heritage can be merchandised along side of the two Throwbacks, so you have a trio of products. Also, it could be compensation for PBG/PAS losing the DPS brands other than Dr Pepper, Crush and Schweppes once the merger goes through. Or it could be a "reward" for the $900 million payment and the 20 year contract that will go into effect once the merger is complete.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this one, so if anyone else knows the details, feel free to correct me. Remember Coolah? Apparently it was some sort of compensation to CCE after the DPSUBG bottling mergers and the loss of some contract bottling volume from CCE to the previously independent bottlers. Unfortunately it didn't do that well, and the diet version that was planned never happened, and it was discontinued completely. Personally, I liked it. You knew it was a DPSU product, the UPC started with 78000. But it was canned by CCE - ours came from the Portland IN plant.

So Pepsi can distribute DP but not Squirt?

Quote Originally Posted by mofizz View Post
    It's the cane/beet sugar manufacturing process that is the key. It has some sort of fancy designation (CAT3?). Pepsi invested a little in getting plants able to do this, and yes they are using the same sugar sources for bottling.
    So regular Pepsi has a combination of HFCS, cane sugar, and beet sugar then?

"High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Sugar"

Maybe there will be more Passover Pepsi available this year since more places will now be able to make it.

So how did Pepsi get made in those bottlers what weren't equipped for sugar (since it is now a HFCS/sugar mix), or did they still use the "High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar" labels and just use HFCS?

No, Regular Pepsi has HFCS. Throwback has a combo of cane/beet sugar.

Couldn't say about Passover Pepsi. You could be correct.

Bottlers not equipped for Sugar either had to get the product eleswhere or not participate.