Bevboard

Angry Ruby Red Squirt...

I live in pennsylvania and i would just like to add here about how much i enjoyed ruby red squirt when it was still in my neck of the woods. I didn't buy huge quantities of it when it was available, but it was the top pick amongst my favorite soda pops. Today i am still a very dedicated regular squirt drinker. I heard about a guy that drank 8 liters of ruby red squirt every day, and then he developed some sort of illness from it. I am not certain if that is what sparked the discontinuation of ruby red squirt in many areas around the country or not, but i am really p***ed about it. I mean for crying out loud, people are dying everyday from cigarettes, and those are still around. Why don't they yank those from the shelves too??

It was probably a slow seller in many areas. When Coke had it in northern PA, it didn't seem to sell that well. I saw a lot of outdated 2 liters in stores.

You didn't say where in Pennsylvania you are, but I have seen it in the Youngstown OH area in the past.

It's because the drink contains Brominated Vegetable Oil

Too much can lead to bromism

I doubt that's why they pulled it... because a lot of other drinks contain BVO, like Mountain Dew products, regular Squirt and many others

Trust me, they did not pull Ruby Red Squirt. After reading this post I started thinking that I had seen this drink in stores around here. I've never been a Squirt or RR Squirt fan so it's not something I look for in stores. But today I did and it's in every single grocery store around here and A LOT. Nothing outdated either, all the real deal. So yes, Ruby Red Squirt is alive and well.

Drinking 8 liters of any soda is outrageous... can't say I'm shocked the guy got sick.

Well as several have confirmed ruby red squirt is available in some areas, most likely where squirt is a good brand... in areas where it is slower they only carry the core flavors of it...

Really you think he got sick from a certain flavor? The guy was downing 8 litres a day in your story... he probably went into diabetic shock as his body shut down from not being able to process that much in a day... I can't imagine he was able to drink that much for a prolonged period little alone a day without ending up in the hospital...

I'm not sure someone could down half that without having major issues... little alone someone who regularly consumed large amounts his body was bound to develop problems and try to stop him from killing himself...

heck if you drink too much water in a day you can die... why would insane amounts of any beverage be any different... several fraternity leaders were recently sent to prison for hazing rituals where a student died after being told to drink gallons of water... and his body essentially drowned because it was not able to handle that much water...

1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

So the guy basically downed 2 gallons of soda a day...