Bevboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry RC Cola

On my way back to New England from vacation, I stopped at a Wal-Mart in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania to stock up on Bethlehem Sucrose Coca-Cola. To my surprise, there was plenty of Cherry RC 12-packs for $3. I picked up some since I hadn't seen the stuff in years.

The production code on the cans is:
    H1213CB1F
    It looks like the ingredients have changed. No more real cherry juice.

Current ingredients:
    Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, caffeine, natural flavors, acacia gum.
    Old ingredients from a few years back:
    Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, caramel color, phosphoric acid, caffeine, natural flavors, gum acacia, concentrated cherry juice, citric acid. Contains less than 1% juice.

Your RC is close to 4 months old. I have not had the old Cherry RC in ages.
    I brought a fridge pack of RC the other day. The product description in the
    Chicago Peapod listings stated that RC was made with the "HFCS and or sugar" formula.
    I brought a fridge pack and ended up geting a 4 month old fridge pack of
    the old HFCS formula RC. I am enjoy it non the less.

Has anyone seen DPSC soda pop with he "HFCS and or sugar" sweetener formula?
    Last edited by Mr Zabe; 08-14-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

I see Cherry RC all the time at Jewel.

Just wanted to correct the date mention, its actually not 4 months old... its a couple weeks old... H1213CB1F... H1 is the month/year is was produced... A = January B = February etc etc (I believe its 'I' and another letter that gets skipped) the 1 refers to 2011 the last digit of the year... 213 refers to the day of the year... 213th day of the year is August 1st... the CB1f refers to plant codes and such....

for those not sure they use production dates, not expiration dates on packaging... its the one thing I wish they would change... They say having the letter first helps people rotate stock and not alarm customers who think something that will expire in a couple weeks is somehow bad product, I think all it does is confuse customers who just want to know and lazy merchandisers who don't rotate.

-Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Zabe View Post
    Your RC is close to 4 months old. I have not had the old Cherry RC in ages.
    I brought a fridge pack of RC the other day. The product description in the
    Chicago Peapod listings stated that RC was made with the "HFCS and or sugar" formula.
    I brought a fridge pack and ended up geting a 4 month old fridge pack of
    the old HFCS formula RC. I am enjoy it non the less.

Has anyone seen DPSC soda pop with he "HFCS and or sugar" sweetener formula?

Hey, I resemble that remark. But it's not just lazy merchandisers. It's poor rotation at distribution centers and hubs as well. Sometimes we'll get fresh dates, and the next delivery we'll get something that's a few weeks behind that one.

Lehigh Valley is Davis Beverage of Allentown. They have a bottle line, but not a can line. ABARTA Coke used to copack their cans, but I don't think they do anymore. CB = Columbus OH.

Oh, and to Mr. Zabe's point - nobody should be using and/or anymore on their cans, labels, or boxes. But the website could just be using outdated information.

I think the sugar industry fought (and won) to have the and/or taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark. But it's not just lazy merchandisers. It's poor rotation at distribution centers and hubs as well. Sometimes we'll get fresh dates, and the next delivery we'll get something that's a few weeks behind that one.
    Amen to that, its always ironic when they hammer the merchandisers in the store for rotation, and then during like say a promotional package on-wrap graphic, they start sending in plain wrap, then a week later the promo package comes in again and you check the dates thinking well they just found a couple boxes at the plant and decided to use them up, and realize the dates are from a month ago... but there are a lot of guys who only rotate when they see graphics change.

does everyone have RC 12packs at their walmart for 2.98 was just curious.