Bevboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Passover coke & pepsi 2010

Looking forward to sampling KFP coke/pepsi this year and I am willing to go to Brooklyn or manhattan to get it. In the spirit of the 2009 thread, let's discuss here
    Favorite Sodas
    1. Coke (sucrose)
    2. Boylan Black Cherry
    3. Dublin Dr. Pepper
    4. MexiCoke
    5. Passover Pepsi
    6. Wild Cherry Pepsi (formerly #1 before sugar)
    7. Vanilla Coke (god I miss this in sucrose, tasty!)

So this stuff is distributed everywhere or just to certain areas? Well I can find it pretty easily around here.

Went to the grocery tonight and they had a huge display of Passover Coke and Pepsi in 2L. We have not had CRC KP Pepsi around here for about 20 years, It is nice to have it again. The Pepsi tastes like the throwback should if they had not removed the Citric Acid.

Nice find. I hope Chicago gets KP Pepsi. YUM
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Hopefully they will also make KP Caffeine Free Pepsi this year as well.

There should also be KP Sierra Mist this year as well

Zabe, Chicago will have it as CRC = Chicago Rabitorical Council. The Pepsi was produced in Oshkosh, WI, and the Coke in Niles, IL.
    Last edited by bigrich; 03-08-2010 at 06:36 AM.

I went to the Shop Rite in Livingston NJ, big Jewish community there, hoping to find KFP Coke. No dice. Perhaps it was just too soon. I'll keep trying once a week, according to teh interwebz it's been there in past years.
    Favorite Sodas
    1. Coke (sucrose)
    2. Boylan Black Cherry
    3. Dublin Dr. Pepper
    4. MexiCoke
    5. Passover Pepsi

Quote Originally Posted by bigrich View Post
    Zabe, Chicago will have it as CRC = Chicago Rabitorical Council. The Pepsi was produced in Oshkosh, WI, and the Coke in Niles, IL.
    Very cool. Thanks for the info.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Woohoo! I scored some passover Coke with the yellow bottle cap in the Livingston NJ Shoprite yesterday. No Pepsi but I'll keep going back each week until Passover has, um, passed over.

I just cracked it open after letting it chill overnight and I'm comparing back-to-back with some of the Allentown sucrose Coke I just finished off.

The bottle labels are similar but slightly different -- the Allentown stuff has the recyling info in a different location and also has the mycokerewards.com panel on it. The ingredient list is the same (water, sucrose, caramel color, phoshporic acid, natural flavors, caffiene).

Trying to figure out what the bottler source is -- any way to tell? I'm tempted to dismiss the subtle label changes as a bottler variance.

Now the important part -- the taste. I am very surprised to say the KFP Coke has a very different taste from the Allentown sucrose stuff. The Allentown stuff is smoother, a lower-volume (less sweet?) taste; more of the base Coke syrup if you know what I mean. I'm struggling to describe the taste, but the KFP stuff has a taste that reminds me of a higher (sweeter?), kind of like the aftertaste you get after eating popcorn or even cracker jacks/caramel.

I'll let my palette clear and try again later, but my initial report is that KFP and Allentown sucrose Coke do have significantly different tastes.

EDIT: I think it's safe to say that the KFP stuff is not repurposed Allentown product. I wonder, if a normal HFCS line in NY is simply substituting sucrose in place of HFCS, if the amounts are equal, that may explain the taste difference, i.e. KFP has more sugar because it takes more HFCS to get the same sweetness.

INTERESTING DIFFERENCE: Actually reading the nutrition label, the KFP lists 30mg sodium and the Allentown lists 35mg. Everything else is the same. Anybody know what this means? Which ingredient is the source of sodium?
    Last edited by janstett; 03-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Favorite Sodas
    1. Coke (sucrose)
    2. Boylan Black Cherry
    3. Dublin Dr. Pepper
    4. MexiCoke
    5. Passover Pepsi