Bevboard

Default The green image of Smart Water

The company I work for is actually doing some marketing for Aquafina, and this information was part of a packet of info that they had for the campaign. Apparently Smart Water's bottles use more plastic than their competitors, in some cases as much as 48% more.

Is it me or does this seem like this goes against the popular perception of Smart Water? The whole thing just seems a bit extraneous, especially when a lot of companies are trying to maintain a greener image.

Any thoughts?

Specifically, who are Smartwater's competitors? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Function: Water.

And before you go comparing their bottles to those in the 24 packs of spring/purified water, remember that Smartwater is not available in that packaging, so that wouldn't be a reasonable comparison. Not to mention that they don't contain electrolytes, so they really can't be considered competitors.

I think its a comparison to bottled water period he means. Granted smart water comes in a handful of sizes(and a few multi-packs) and doesnt have a direct comparison(ingredients and process wise) in the market but I think its still a valid remark on it. However my personal opinion on smart water is that it is one of the greatest things Glaceu currently has going for it..I like it myself as a functional beverage..

What I find interesting is that the target of this issue of PET bottles has only been standard still bottled water. There has been no talk about targeting all the other beverage categories that use the same plastic. For that reason I cannot see this issue having much long term traction.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmadone View Post
    However my personal opinion on smart water is that it is one of the greatest things Glaceu currently has going for it..I like it myself as a functional beverage..
    Absolutely understood. I have been a big fan of Glaceau's products for many years myself. What I find very interesting though is this:

Smart Water only contains 24.7 parts per million of electrolytes. For a beverage to be functional 700 ppm is required. Even waters that don't consider themselves as electrolyte enhanced have a higher electrolyte content(such as Coca-Cola's Dasani which has 33.7ppm)
    Last edited by pouringdrinks; 03-22-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo

Odd tho.. I never get the energy buzz like I do with Smart Water then with regular water(or even Danasty...sorry but I cant stand Dasani :P).

Quote Originally Posted by lordmadone View Post
    Odd tho.. I never get the energy buzz like I do with Smart Water then with regular water(or even Danasty...sorry but I cant stand Dasani :P).
    It just a Placebo effect

Quote Originally Posted by NRGSLLR55 View Post
    It just a Placebo effect
    This. It still is amazing how they can market themselves as having electrolytes and not have a functional level of them. The actual content is so far off the functionality mark as to be mind-boggling.
    Last edited by pouringdrinks; 04-09-2010 at 12:46 PM.