Bevboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mello Yello website up and running

Nice, of course they have to play the mello yello song!
    I hope a Mello Yello Zero comes out.

While Coke hasn't hopped on the "throwback" bandwagon, this is a nice execution of nostalgic marketing

The website shows that Texas isn't among the states where Mello Yello is being distributed, but just 2 weeks ago on I-10 East just outside of Houston I saw a billboard for it. None of the stores around my area are carrying it. I'm wondering why Coke would choose to tease Houstonians like that?

So is Mello Yello back... for wide release? And does this mean that Vault is on its way out? Could we soon see Mello Yello at fast food restaurants? Is there a Zero formulation in the works? What do we know?

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    The website shows that Texas isn't among the states where Mello Yello is being distributed, but just 2 weeks ago on I-10 East just outside of Houston I saw a billboard for it. None of the stores around my area are carrying it. I'm wondering why Coke would choose to tease Houstonians like that?
    That map is incorrect. The states in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast that are left out do have it, at least in CCE areas, and at least in 20oz. I believe it's also in the Pacific Northwest?

MY is picking up a bit. It is doing ok even though it's not advertised in the massachusetts market.

It's doing really well for us in Maryland, especially 20oz. And we aren't really running any specials in large stores, though there are different promos in small stores. Though we did carry it before Vault...

I just wish they'd bring the cherry back. Melon seems like a niche flavor, so I doubt that's even on the radar. And I think Afterglow (peach) was a poor seller, so doubtful that it will return.

Is Diet Mello Yello still out there anywhere?

There was a rumor a few months ago that a Mello Yello Zero would be introduced late this year or early next year. The fact that nobody's said anything about it recently makes me doubt if that rumor is true.

You have to realize that there are literally hundreds of things being worked on/considered/researched at any given time, few of which see the light of day. There is a very strict process that items must go through before they even hit the market. The whole process may take up to a year or more. Things may get so far, and then pushed back for more research/data collection/etc, or may get scrapped all together at a certain point in the process, due to outside factors. Then you have to consider the design and production of the packaging, the setup in the UPC database, getting chains to authorize it, getting time on a production line to produce it, and building up enough inventory to launch the product successfully. That is why you may see some products that have been produced weeks before the launch, to ensure enough is in the system to meet the demand of the sales centers.

Not to mention that information like that is confidential, and it's not worth risking anyone's job just to tell a bunch of strangers that a beverage may or may not be coming out. I personally usually wait until a media outlet of some type mentions it, before I will say anything. The exception was recently when someone posted incorrect information, and I felt that I had to correct it.

There are many, many people involved in the process, from the initial research to the proposal, to the discussion, forecasting, outside contractors to produce and ship the packaging, production facilities, trucking companies (or company trucks) to get the product to the warehouses, salespeople to sell the product, warehouse people to load the product, drivers to deliver the product, and possibly even a merchandiser to stock the product. Not to mention key account reps, who are the go between between the bottler/distributor and the chain stores, to get the product authorized in the system. Marketing may also be involved, creating point of sale, advertising, radio/tv spots, etc. Then there may be the creation and distribution of coupons. Not to mention some sort of graphic designer to design the look of the bottle/can/box/etc.

Just my 2.