Bevboard

Smile How long after "best by" date before soda goes flat?

I'm just curious about how long after the "best by" date on the bottom of the can before the soda loses its carbonation. I ask because I stocked up (seriously) on the three different flavors of Dewmocracy and it seems as if they are already going a little bit flat. I think the date on the bottom of the can said "best by Oct. 5" - it could just be me, though, since I like a lot of carbonation and I know Mtn. Dew generally has very little.
    Jack's Mom
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously."

My arm chair thought is that if you store the cans in a cool place, like the basement floor or in the refrigerator, they will last a good deal longer. Actually in you case, have you thought of getting a gently used refrigerator to store your soda pops. Just like what some guys have in their man cave for beer.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

I've kept cans and glass bottles of sugar-sweetened soda in my cellar for almost 2 years and they have been fine.
    Plastic bottles go flat after several months. I have found you might be able to keep those ok for close to a year, but you need to keep the bottles in a cold refrigerator all the time.
    I don't drink diet sodas, but I have heard the chemicals in the sweeteners break down after a few months so they could possibly be pretty disgusting if you try to keep those in storage for longer periods of time.

Funny you should ask. I still have about ten cans of Red Fusion and they expired in 2004. I had one with my dinner and it tasted as good as the day I bought them. I kid you not.

they say

9 months for regular soda in cans
    3 months for diet sodas in cans because of chemicals

1 year regular in glass

3 months both regular and diet in plastic bottles.

I have had regular soda 2 years old and its still tasted good though in both cans and glass bottles.
    Last edited by XLS_04; 11-06-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Funny you should ask. I still have about ten cans of Red Fusion and they expired in 2004. I had one with my dinner and it tasted as good as the day I bought them. I kid you not.
    Please mail me one of these... I do miss Red Fusion...

Thanks - I'm storing the cans in my basement right now. Hopefully that will help them stay cool through the winter, although I think the summer heat may have already gotten to them.
    Jack's Mom
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously."