Bevboard

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default Citrus Soda Thread(MY, MD, SD)

Since we are talking about all three in different threads, I figured it would be nice to have one thread.

Sun Drop is getting a major push now. Lots of props and "intro" price stands.

It is now available in 12 packs both diet and regular, 2 liters, 20 oz in both diet and regular.

On the flip side, MY is available in SOME places...and there is no push behind it.(yet I am assuming)
    Where it is sold, there are no props, or special prices.
    banned

I like all of them but Mountain Dew will always be #1 for me.

Vault comes in second, then Mello Yello, then Sun Drop. I love to drink all of them though.

I think what you mean is point of sale (or pos), not props.

Sundrop availability is increasing here, but still spotty. A lot of people online are unhappy about the fact that it tastes different than the stuff they remember from Coke or Choice USA in North Carolina.

Mello Yello is everywhere, mostly in 20oz and 12 packs. 2L here and there. Some promotion, but not a lot.

Dew isn't doing anything aggressive to combat either of these (pricing, promotions, etc), like they did when Vault came out.

I'd drink more Sundrop if we had the real stuff, even moreso if we had cherry lemon. I don't drink a lot of citrus sodas in general, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post

Sundrop availability is increasing here, but still spotty. A lot of people online are unhappy about the fact that it tastes different than the stuff they remember from Coke or Choice USA in North Carolina.

Mello Yello is everywhere, mostly in 20oz and 12 packs. 2L here and there. Some promotion, but not a lot.

Dew isn't doing anything aggressive to combat either of these (pricing, promotions, etc), like they did when Vault came out.

I'd drink more Sundrop if we had the real stuff, even moreso if we had cherry lemon. I don't drink a lot of citrus sodas in general, myself.
    See thats the weird thing, where I am at, you would be hard pressed to find mello yellow in more than just one package and definately not in the coolers... yet sundrop is in every store, every package, and most often a display around the corner too... not really sure about the taste, but everything i drink today is different than 10 years ago, from switching to plastic/cans from glass bottles... to using corn syrup instead of sugar...

P.S. how about squirt in this category?
    Last edited by DrPepperYummy; 02-04-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: forgot about squirt!

The taste is a lot weaker than what I remember. Comparing the ingredients and the nutritional information, it has fewer calories and less sugars, and natural flavor has been replaced with natural flavors, and it is 2 entries lower on the ingredients list. Someone even posted pics on their facebook. SunDrop | Facebook

Squirt is indeed citrus, but it's grapefruit, and the others are orange juice based. I can't buy Squirt around here, but if I go a little bit to the south, Pepsi Bottling Ventures carries it. Coke has Fanta Toranja/Citrus to compete with it, and they rolled it out in areas where they used to have Squirt (mainly in CA and MI). It's basically the same soda as Citra, which was later renamed Fanta Citrus. Coke sold a lot of Squirt where they had it, so they are really pushing Fanta to replace those sales. Should be in a lot of packaging options by this summer in those areas. I just wish they would take some of the smaller flavors nationwide, all I can get anywhere near here is the big 4. You have to get a frozen drink (Slurpee or something similar) to get any interesting flavors. I've also seen Fanta Birch Beer in fountains, I'd love to have that in cans and bottles (Philadelphia area is a big birch beer market).

If you want to taste real Sun Drop, you need to get some of the glass-bottled stuff from West Jefferson. It's made with real sugar. Unfortunately, you can't buy it directly from WJ because Coke has the distribution rights to Sun Drop in that area. Sun Drop of Concord (NC), however, does sell this (as well as Diet Sun Drop in glass bottles and all of the Sun Drop varieties from Choice).

As for the other citrus drinks, Mello Yello never went away in the NC Piedmont. I'm looking forward to trying the MY Zero. Vault seems to be vanishing around here. Mountain Dew (and most of it's extensions) are available almost everywhere.

If only Ski were more widely available....

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post

I had never tried the "other" stuff, just this one. I freakin' love it. I am perplexed at the fact that Diet Sundrop lists "salt" as an ingredient. Never saw that before.
    banned

I now have MY, MDLW, and SD in my fridge's bottom drawers. So yummy. My top Drawers is diet MD, Diet SD, Diet Crush, and Space reserved for MY Zero. Which I am highly anticipating after trying Sprite Zero Which was very good. It has to be a Coke thing.
    Last edited by Dewman1979; 02-12-2011 at 04:54 AM.
    banned

Looks like Sun Drop is selling well so far. MY is just now being put in everywhere, so the jury is still out on them.

With Pitch black and the new Diet Dews coming soon enough...looks like this is going to be an awesome summer for citrus soda. All that we need now is flavor extensions of MY and SD.
    banned

BTW....anyone know why they put so much more salt in Diet SD versus regular SD?
    banned