Bevboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodileguy View Post
    I'm curious as to the role of Throwback. It's popular enough to become a permanent offering, and what else could its sales cannibalize?
    I also wonder what role the new (unpopular) logos had on Pepsi's (and Diet Pepsi's) declines. Both are falling faster than everything else. It seems trivial, but packaging matters. I read somewhere that Coke increased sales volume (in the millions) just by changing the shape of the bottle.

I wouldn't be surprised if PepsiCo brings back the classic logo... now that Diet Coke is #2.
    banned

For me it's the taste and flatness of Pepsi these days, I stopped drinking it because of Throwback. My g/f stopped because it goes flat within minutes. Possibly theres the same problem with Diet as Throwback (as of the current edition) shares this problem to a lesser extent.

Seriously...you could leave a coke out for hours and it still has plenty of bite.
    I'm fairly sure Pepsi has only been like this for a year and a half. Maybe 2 max.

Good old Pepsi has strong carbonation. Pepsi TB does not stay carbonated like regular Pepsi does. Ice cold Pepsi when stored correctly has "killer" mouth burn. Try cooling down
    a 6pk of Pepsi 8oz cans; the first swig off an ice cold can burns like all heck. YUM
    Last edited by Mr Zabe; 03-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

For some reason, Coke has cut back on the massive sports marketing that Coke Zero had been doing for the past couple of years which probably has something to do with the slower growth.
    The key is getting it into mainstream restaurants. They've got CZ started in McDonald's but it hasn't spread as quickly as I was initially hoping.

Hmm? If anything, the sports marketing has increased significantly. Lots of sports related packaging, and it's been tied to major sporting events, currently the NCAA Final Four. The basketball 12 packs are pretty cool. And the 24 packs have a backboard you can cut out and stick on a small trash can and play paper hoops.

Coke Zero's biggest obstacle is that it's competing with Diet Coke... especially now that Diet Coke is #2. The trick is growing CZ without cannibalizing DC's sales too much... which is why they target CZ so narrowly (primarily at men). In NYC, I've noticed that CZ's shelf-space has been growing, and it's now almost equal to Diet Coke... and sells out much quicker. Supermarkets are rarely out of DC, but often very low on Coke Zero.

I think the reason that Coke is finally putting CZ in restaurants & fountains is because they are feeling the heat from Pepsi Max in supermarkets (where Coke & Pepsi pretty much split the market). Since Coke controls 70% of fountains, CZ will likely pull away from PM if CZ gets a wide release at fountains/restaurants.
    Last edited by popologist; 03-21-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    banned

Could be wrong but I don't recall seeing Coke's NASCAR drivers holding Coke Zero bottles this year as they did last year.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

Good point. I have only seen them holding regular Coca Cola, usually 24oz bottles.
    I make it a point to watch the pre and post race segments just to see what beverage
    they are holding. LOL
    Don't worry, be happy. Meher Baba

Quote Originally Posted by popologist View Post
    I think the reason that Coke is finally putting CZ in restaurants & fountains is because they are feeling the heat from Pepsi Max in supermarkets (where Coke & Pepsi pretty much split the market). Since Coke controls 70% of fountains, CZ will likely pull away from PM if CZ gets a wide release at fountains/restaurants.
    This makes me think... could Pepsi's extensive pushing of Max be eating into Diet Pepsi's sales? I seem to see a lot more advertising for Max than Diet these days. And if Max is indeed close to Zero in supermarket sales, then the advertisement must be working, and some of its sales might be coming from former Diet Pepsi drinkers. Is it possible that unlike Coke, Pepsi is willing to let its "alternative" zero-calorie cola gradually overtake its old-school "diet" counterpart? I am starting to see some fountain presence for Max now.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb1124 View Post
    This makes me think... could Pepsi's extensive pushing of Max be eating into Diet Pepsi's sales? I seem to see a lot more advertising for Max than Diet these days. And if Max is indeed close to Zero in supermarket sales, then the advertisement must be working, and some of its sales might be coming from former Diet Pepsi drinkers. Is it possible that unlike Coke, Pepsi is willing to let its "alternative" zero-calorie cola gradually overtake its old-school "diet" counterpart? I am starting to see some fountain presence for Max now.
    Being #2, Pepsi definitely has more to gain and less to lose from taking chances. Pepsi Max, which was released before Coke Zero in Europe, is very popular in the UK. So, you may be right. Maybe Pepsi doesn't care where the growth is coming from, so long as there is growth. The reality is that Coke Zero was actually Coke's response to Pepsi One & Pepsi Max. I think Coke often lets Pepsi do the experimenting first... and then if they see a market there... Coke enters with its own product.
    banned