Bevboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Coke cans go white

Starting Nov. 1st thru February Coke's cans will be all white with the polar bears on the can. This is a tie in with some wildlife organization.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

I seen this on the news today. Thanks for letting us know though. The thing I noticed with Coke though is their graphics have really become boring looking the last few years. The white cans will also have that horizontal oversized "Coca-Cola" logo with no dynamic ribbon.

The Caffeine Free Coke logo still has the word "classic" on it even though they said they were going to drop the word 2 years ago.

KO is again developing a bad case of being out of touch with its market.

1 - Remember the first diet Coke can? You know why it was not a simple reversal of the Coke can of the era (red on white, rather than white on red), but rather had thin silver stripes? And why KO abandoned that and went silver? Because market research shows that a segment of the population associated white with dairy products and another segment with beer cans. So now KO is doing the opposite.

2 - Remember the original diet Coke? Or the dozens of current products for which the visual cue for Diet is a reverse color can of the base color on white (Dr Pepper, Sprite, A&W, etc). So confuse the customer with a white standard product.

3 - YOU INVENTED SANTA CLAUS!!! At least the modern western image of him. So, after 80 years, this year's Christmas can has a bear, and no mention of Christmas.

4 - Indeed tied up with "some wildlife group". In other words, forgetting that the ONLY duty of a corporation is to maxmize profit. And it does that by agreeing that the customer, every single one, is always right. Leaving politics (which is different from regulatory capture) to individuals. KO is the prototype multi-national corporation. Wisely having NO OPINION on any issue other than "buy more Coca-Cola" in 200 countries. Now tied up with the global warming fanatics. An issue that billions of people disagree with or simply do not care about.

They are losing their way, again.

It's not a Christmas can. It is tie in with the World Wildlife Fund to raise funds to protect the polar bear's habitat. There will also be white bottle caps on several Coke products. The white packaging will contain a code that people can text to donate a dollar to the WWF. The cans come out next week and continue until February 2012.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

I think SamC is disappointed that Coke is ignoring the Christmas holiday this year. I imagine that a lot of people will. In fact, it will probably cost them some sales.
    banned

Quote Originally Posted by drpep View Post
    It is tie in with the World Wildlife Fund to raise funds to protect the polar bear's habitat.
    And there are billions of people on this earth who either disagree with the theory that the polar bear's hibitat is in any danger, with the theory that what the WWF is going to do is the right thing to do, or who simply could not care less about a polar bear.

KO's job is to sell Coca-Cola. It does that, whether its customer be an American, a Mexican, a Vietnamese, a Chinese, a Taiwanese, a Russian, a Israeli, a Jordanian, or any other person, by having an opinion on only one subject:

"Its the Real Thing".

^Dude, chill out. It's a soda can.

I'm sure a lot of people will think its cool and its a good theme for winter (Nov-Feb). The polar bears have become one of the most beloved icons for Coca-Cola and the tie-in with WWF works well with that. Coca-Cola is doing this for their PR image to show "hey we're not just a heartless corporation, we care about the environment that surrounds us". Its a win-win for Coke and WWF, Coke gets a good image (at least in the short term) and possibly increased sales and WWF gets a fundraiser to its cause. And you're exaggerating saying billions don't believe that Global warning doesn't exist or that polar bears aren't in danger (did you mean millions?). 98% of scientists and the majority of the World's population believe in Global Warming or Global Climate Change, but that's a whole another argument. I'm looking forward for these polar bear cans to come out.
    Last edited by ATownAndrew; 10-31-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Polar bears have been used in Coca-Cola holiday advertising for years now. They have also had polar bear plush toys, ornaments, and so on. To take that awareness and use it for something positive (creating a polar bear refuge) is a good step, and shows the company is committed to environmental efforts, plus there is the halo effect with consumers.

You're complaining about the lack of Santa, but then go to say that it's Coke's job to sell soda to people all across the world? How many of them celebrate Christmas? How many of them believe in Santa?

Santa will be prominently featured on the 8 ounce glass bottle packages, as well as (if I remember correctly) the 4 pack of Hutchinson bottles that will be sold at Walmart.

The white cans will be sold inside of 12 and 24 packs, as well as ringed 6 pack 12oz cans, and 8 pack 7.5oz cans. I just hope there is enough media coverage as to not confuse consumers into thinking it's another flavor.

I've seen the polar bear wraps on 20oz bottles, I like them. I never cared for the cartoonish polar bears used in the advertising, but I like the regular bears just fine.

Saw some today here in Canada (Saskatchewan) at Zellers.

I can't be bothered to buy Coke in general (unless it's cherry coke/cherry coke zero), so a white can isn't going to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    Santa will be prominently featured on the 8 ounce glass bottle packages, as well as (if I remember correctly)
    You are correct in that - I saw them yesterday at Walmart, although I didn't think it was too prominent, but then again the packaging is smaller.

There is also the possibility that perhaps they will do both somehow. I seem to remember people complaining when they didn't have Santa Claus on the cans/bottles one year (2005 from a Wikipedia article), so he's been back every year since. I'm not sure if only having him on the 8oz bottles will make people happy, as they seem a bit pricey.