Bevboard

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Flash pasteurization options for start-up

Hi everyone

I'm starting a juice company. After a considerable amount of research, I came to the conclusion that flash pasteurization is the best method of preservation for my particular beverage. As a start-up working with limited resources, (around 50k). What are the best ways to go about doing this?

Is my only option to outsource? If possible, I would like to keep the process in house. However, buying a flash pasteurizer is expensive. I've received quotes of 50k and up to set up a system. At first I would like to bottle the beverage myself in small quantities. Even if I were to outsource toll processors would most likely require a larger volume.

Is there a cheaper way to do this?

Thanks all

Hello,

How many units are you trying to produce out of one batch? I would try flash pasteurizing using pots, stop watch, and thermometer.

Give more details on your product.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanHills View Post
    Hello,

How many units are you trying to produce out of one batch? I would try flash pasteurizing using pots, stop watch, and thermometer.

Give more details on your product.
    A few hundred. Its going to be a 100 percent vegetable juice, mixed with lemon juice. What I would like to do is bottle some samples and see if there is interest before making a large financial commitment. I know its possible to pasteurize at home using post, but I was under the impression that doing this would be more like regular pasteurization since the product wouldn't cool quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by spopov View Post
    A few hundred. Its going to be a 100 percent vegetable juice, mixed with lemon juice. What I would like to do is bottle some samples and see if there is interest before making a large financial commitment. I know its possible to pasteurize at home using post, but I was under the impression that doing this would be more like regular pasteurization since the product wouldn't cool quickly enough.
    Too make it cool under sanitary/food handling standards, use an ice stick. It will cool any liquid in under 30mins in a room temp room. This is how I started myself. I use to "naturally pasteurize" my drink and then flash cool down.

Who is going to be your focus group? Where are you giving out your samples?