Bevboard

Default Goodbye to MexiCoke?

According to this report from Quartz, due to the now approved tax on soda and sugary drinks here in Mexico, Coca-Cola bottlers in Mexico are considering switching from real cane sugar to High Fructose Corn Syrup like in the U.S. in order to save money.

http://qz.com/142898/a-bottler-of-be...to-save-money/

I really hope this doesn't happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram0n C0keah0lic View Post
    According to this report from Quartz, due to the now approved tax on soda and sugary drinks here in Mexico, Coca-Cola bottlers in Mexico are considering switching from real cane sugar to High Fructose Corn Syrup like in the U.S. in order to save money.

http://qz.com/142898/a-bottler-of-be...to-save-money/

I really hope this doesn't happen...
    I hate how they have that article about testing mexican coke and not finding any sugar, it keeps popping up all around the web, it's pure BS tho. It was 1 bottler, not all. I've noticed the mexicali cokes are nasty tasting and couldn't figure out why it was bitter when the TJ ones are sweet. Well theres your answer.

The sugar tariffs is what mainly keeps soda companies in the US from using cane sugar. There is some sugar grown in the us, but the price is kept artificially high.

Though the Mexican bottlers may switch to HFCS, I can see them still running sugar for export to the US. We are now distributing Fanta Pineapple, Grape, and Strawberry from Mexico here, but in very limited areas (New York, mostly the city, for example). There is also talk of Fanta Grapefruit coming up as well.

Don't tell me those idiots who wrote the tax code left a loophole for HFCS.

I read an article somewhere online that the bottler that bottles the sodas for export to the US will not be switching those to HFCS.

The 3 new Fantas are still in limited areas. Personally I am looking forward to the grapefruit, I love the US version. Too bad it's impossible to find anywhere near me. They did expand distribution when they gave up Squirt a few years back, but it is tough when you lose a strong brand name like that and try to convince people that what you are now selling is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by ATownAndrew View Post
    Don't tell me those idiots who wrote the tax code left a loophole for HFCS.

Seems so.. Corn farmers are doing pretty good these days, with the ethanol and all. Even though corn ethanol is horrible for cars and the environment. It actually attracts water. I have an issue with my car with water coming off the engine somewhere and collecting in a hose (a pump is supposed to process it, but I don't know what's going on there and I don't really have the know-how or cash to fix it).