Bevboard

Thread: Lancaster PA

Default Lancaster PA

I was in Lancaster this weekend for a music festival. I hadn't been up there in a while, so I decided to check out the beverage situation. I hit up a Walmart, a Turkey Hill convenience store, a Sheetz convenience store and an independent grocery store.

Here's what I found:

Area is strongly Pepsi. In Walmart, they had over 2/3 of the warehouse beverage aisle, with Coke having the other little bit. Also found lots of flavors in cubes, and Code Red in 6pk 16.9oz. Pepsi 24oz were very sporadic.

Also stopped on the way home in Chester County (Abarta Coke) and still found Fanta Peach 20oz. Then I stopped at a Fresh Market in Delaware County (will post a pic later of what I got there). They have a huge cold section devoted to single serve beverages. I was pretty impressed. Skipped Whole Foods, but I did swing by the construction site for the new Wegmans in Glen Mills, I can't believe they already have the building up. Frame and the foam boards, no outside covering just yet.

I didn't think Sheetz was that far east in Pa. I thought that was WaWa territory. I had thought there was a gentleman's agreement to not compete with each other. I know I read a couple years ago that WaWa saw no reason to go head to head with Sheetz.
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    I was in Lancaster this weekend for a music festival. I hadn't been up there in a while, so I decided to check out the beverage situation. I hit up a Walmart, a Turkey Hill convenience store, a Sheetz convenience store and an independent grocery store.

Here's what I found:

Area is strongly Pepsi. In Walmart, they had over 2/3 of the warehouse beverage aisle, with Coke having the other little bit. Also found lots of flavors in cubes, and Code Red in 6pk 16.9oz. Pepsi 24oz were very sporadic.

Also stopped on the way home in Chester County (Abarta Coke) and still found Fanta Peach 20oz. Then I stopped at a Fresh Market in Delaware County (will post a pic later of what I got there). They have a huge cold section devoted to single serve beverages. I was pretty impressed. Skipped Whole Foods, but I did swing by the construction site for the new Wegmans in Glen Mills, I can't believe they already have the building up. Frame and the foam boards, no outside covering just yet.
    Diet code red... We had that for the longest time. Now we don't. Hfcs Cheerwine is a bitch to find, but I prefer the sugar variety... Which is easy to find. So jelly of the peach Fanta. Love pineapple, want peach.
    banned

Sheetz has been in Lancaster for a while. Though mainly to the north of the city. The one I went to was off Oregon Pike, just north of Route 30.

The two Wawas I know if are on Route 30 near the outlets. One up closer to where 30 becomes a real highway, and the other at the other end by the outlet mall as you leave the Lancaster area. But that one closed up and apparently is becoming something else.

There are actually a lot of Turkey Hill markets. Which are owned by Kroger.

Royal Farms and Wawa are going head-to-head. Wawa has built a lot of new stores in Harford County MD in the past few years, and Royal Farms has built a handful of new stores in northern Delaware in the past few years (they have been in southern Delaware for a while). And they actually just opened one up in Ridley Park PA, which is in Delaware County. Apparently they have other Delaware County locations under construction at this time.

And it's hard to believe that Wawa already has 60 stores in Florida.

I think Lancaster, or near Lancaster is Turkey Hills home. I had read an article last week in Convenience Store News about Wawa and Royal Farms going head to head.
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12