Bevboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Well it's less of a cola country because we get so much less selection, if any at all. We only have 2 flavours: Pepsi Lime and (everywhere except here, goddamn it) Diet Coke with Lime. (3 of you count Cherry Coke's limited edition release). Here in QC, for example, all we get is Pepsi Lime, so I have to make do. If it were up to me, though, we'd have more.

The companies simply won't give it a chance. Or when they do, they don't bother enough with marketing and whatnot. Mountain Dew Canada, while not a purveyor of cola, gives flavoured variations more of a chance. I wish Pepsi and Coke would get more on board because practically the whole country wants more cola flavours. The lack of Cherry Coke and Pepsi, for one, was cited as one of the things that killed Target Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisWildCherry View Post
    Well it's less of a cola country because we get so much less selection, if any at all. We only have 2 flavours: Pepsi Lime and (everywhere except here, goddamn it) Diet Coke with Lime. (3 of you count Cherry Coke's limited edition release). Here in QC, for example, all we get is Pepsi Lime, so I have to make do. If it were up to me, though, we'd have more.

The companies simply won't give it a chance. Or when they do, they don't bother enough with marketing and whatnot. Mountain Dew Canada, while not a purveyor of cola, gives flavoured variations more of a chance. I wish Pepsi and Coke would get more on board because practically the whole country wants more cola flavours. The lack of Cherry Coke and Pepsi, for one, was cited as one of the things that killed Target Canada.
    Well, opening 133 stores all while having a poor distribution network killed Target. That, along with price and lack of selection. Once people realized it was really a re-skinned Zellers they stopped going. Target didn't do enough to bring the Canadian consumer into their stores. Empty shelves, more expensive than Wal-mart, and not a whole lot of new items.

But I suppose being the one retailer in Canada that could've carried Cherry coke, Pepsi and other flavour variations could've brought more into their stores. It's not like Target is a small brand, either. I'm sure had they talked to cola companies before coming into Canada something could've been worked out. Coca-Cola Canada and Pepsi Canada are going to be far more likely to listen to Target Canada than people posting on their facebook.

I suppose it's small consolation that the flavoured varieties are finding their way into specialty candy stores. If I really wanted a cherry coke or vanilla coke, I can go down to one of the malls in Saskatoon and grab one for a slightly inflated price.

Cola companies were a lot more open to expanding their product line-up in the early 2000s though. I remember cherry coke/pepsi, vanilla coke/pepsi, pepsi blue, lime coke/pepsi, lemon coke/pepsi, and holiday spice pepsi being available in Canada when I was in high school. Sprite re-mix was also a thing. As were some alternate flavoured mountain dews... code red, pitch black, and (i think) livewire.

I just think that cola companies are okay with playing it safe. Pepsi took a bit of a plunge with making Pepsi Next available in Canada (also known as Pepsi True in the US - same formula/branding now.) I am pretty sure that Pepsi Next sells quite well here. Hopefully a feeling of bravery comes over Coke Canada and Pepsi Canada soon.

I mean, I'm trying so hard to not complain and be understanding that this is a smaller, different market than the U.S. and that cola is trivial. I really am. But I'm failing miserably because I just don't get it: I still feel like I as a consumer am getting the short end of the stick when it comes to selection just because I'm Canadian. I've seen sodas in the States that are what Canadian dreams are made of.

I don't believe that Canadian VS U.S. tastes in soda flavours are that dissimilar to warrant such vastly different product lines. No Pepsi Lime in the States whatsoever, for example, while we get NO PERMANENT cherry cola at all. After all, Canadians cross the border all the time and wonder about this too. I just don't find it fair that my equivalent in the States is more entitled to enjoy products I can only dream of because Pepsi and Coke Canada just don't bother (in my mind) and, as you say, "play it safe", or just because his market is bigger.

And don't even get me started on licensing: 7Up belonging to Pepsi except in the U.S. and whatnot. It's stupid. Is Dr Pepper Snapple Group too lazy and cheap to distribute their own products here? I bring this up because I've wanted real sugar Sierra Mist here for the longest time, just as an example. In my opinion, Mist kicks both 7Up's and Sprite's butts way out the window in flavour. What about C-Plus/Orange Fanta and A&W (Canada) vs. Barq's? ALL distributed by Coke here. Someone brought to my attention that Sierra Mist couldn't come here because of 7Up's licensing. You CAN have two competing flavours by the same company: Coke proved it here.

I do agree, American soda companies are more adventurous and fun (Pepsi USA, as a company, is absolutely BALLISTIC when it comes to fun. They care about what the Americans want), but in comparison, Canadian ones seem... I don't know, rather indifferent.

When we DO get something good (RIP Wild Cherry Pepsi Canada, 2012-2013, the best freakin' Pepsi flavour to ever come to Canada), it never stays, even though everybody says it sold like hot cakes. If I'm not mistaken, I think WCP runs in Canada sold more than both of Cherry Coke's combined. Someone even said on here that it OUTSOLD regular and Lime Pepsis by a landslide.

I'm especially tired of the Quebec market most of all, all I've got is Pepsi Lime. While it IS good, I want more! You guys out there in ROC get cool **** like Cherry Dr. Pepper, Diet Coke Lime, Lime Crush, and others I may not know about. And what upsets me the most is that the cases are BILINGUAL, yet they never bothered to release them here. All we get in Quebec is generic, bland flavours with the occasional breakthrough like PL and Mtn Dew Code Red.

And Facebook complaints should matter. When about, oh, I don't know, MILLIONS of customers post complaints, they just shrug it off. That's their damn customers they're neglecting. The ones with the wallets without which they wouldn't have their precious billions anyway!

And back to Sublimecitrus's post: Now I realize that Target obviously never cared about what its Canadian customers wanted. That really makes me wary about going back to their U.S. stores... On the other hand, a lot of products that Target US carried were regular U.S. standbys, which some laws wouldn't allow here anyway.

Phew! Jesus, did that ever need to get outta my system.

I guess I'm dumb and just don't get it. But selection is my main pet peeve about Canada aside from government.

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisWildCherry View Post
    I mean, I'm trying so hard to not complain and be understanding that this is a smaller, different market than the U.S. and that cola is trivial. I really am. But I'm failing miserably because I just don't get it: I still feel like I as a consumer am getting the short end of the stick when it comes to selection just because I'm Canadian. I've seen sodas in the States that are what Canadian dreams are made of.

I don't believe that Canadian VS U.S. tastes in soda flavours are that dissimilar to warrant such vastly different product lines. No Pepsi Lime in the States whatsoever, for example, while we get NO PERMANENT cherry cola at all. After all, Canadians cross the border all the time and wonder about this too. I just don't find it fair that my equivalent in the States is more entitled to enjoy products I can only dream of because Pepsi and Coke Canada just don't bother (in my mind) and, as you say, "play it safe", or just because his market is bigger.

And don't even get me started on licensing: 7Up belonging to Pepsi except in the U.S. and whatnot. It's stupid. Is Dr Pepper Snapple Group too lazy and cheap to distribute their own products here? I bring this up because I've wanted real sugar Sierra Mist here for the longest time, just as an example. In my opinion, Mist kicks both 7Up's and Sprite's butts way out the window in flavour. What about C-Plus/Orange Fanta and A&W (Canada) vs. Barq's? ALL distributed by Coke here. Someone brought to my attention that Sierra Mist couldn't come here because of 7Up's licensing. You CAN have two competing flavours by the same company: Coke proved it here.

I do agree, American soda companies are more adventurous and fun (Pepsi USA, as a company, is absolutely BALLISTIC when it comes to fun. They care about what the Americans want), but in comparison, Canadian ones seem... I don't know, rather indifferent.

When we DO get something good (RIP Wild Cherry Pepsi Canada, 2012-2013, the best freakin' Pepsi flavour to ever come to Canada), it never stays, even though everybody says it sold like hot cakes. If I'm not mistaken, I think WCP runs in Canada sold more than both of Cherry Coke's combined. Someone even said on here that it OUTSOLD regular and Lime Pepsis by a landslide.

I'm especially tired of the Quebec market most of all, all I've got is Pepsi Lime. While it IS good, I want more! You guys out there in ROC get cool **** like Cherry Dr. Pepper, Diet Coke Lime, Lime Crush, and others I may not know about. And what upsets me the most is that the cases are BILINGUAL, yet they never bothered to release them here. All we get in Quebec is generic, bland flavours with the occasional breakthrough like PL and Mtn Dew Code Red.

And Facebook complaints should matter. When about, oh, I don't know, MILLIONS of customers post complaints, they just shrug it off. That's their damn customers they're neglecting. The ones with the wallets without which they wouldn't have their precious billions anyway!

And back to Sublimecitrus's post: Now I realize that Target obviously never cared about what its Canadian customers wanted. That really makes me wary about going back to their U.S. stores... On the other hand, a lot of products that Target US carried were regular U.S. standbys, which some laws wouldn't allow here anyway.

Phew! Jesus, did that ever need to get outta my system.

I guess I'm dumb and just don't get it. But selection is my main pet peeve about Canada aside from government.
    I also think it's odd that Pepsi introduced a totally new formula of Pepsi Next in Canada before "testing the market" in the US with Pepsi True. That shows that Pepsi Canada is okay with trying something completely new/foreign, but they're hesitant to release a product that already has a pretty successful track record. Heck, I had troubles finding Pepsi Throwback a few years ago because it was sold out. They even brought that back for a second run, and then it went silent.

Who knows? Maybe something in the cherry flavouring is forbidden in Canada. Maybe the alternative isn't cost effective. Maybe the market demand in Canada is actually quite low? I don't know. There has to be some reason... It's not like cherry colas are an American "delicacy" that Americans have only developed a taste for.

And I don't even know the issue with Coke. They'll bring back Cherry Coke for a short run at costco, but that's it. Not even nation wide... Usually eastern or Alberta only. Just release it already.

Agreed. I wish I could get into the minds of the execs at those companies and see what the hell goes on in there...

If something in the Cherry flavour was forbidden here, I don't think the product would even have been sold at all.

All I want is the return of Cherry Pepsi. God knows I could use one now...