Bevboard

Default Hires root beer question

Is Hires root beer completely gone now?

I used to be able to find it in my area up until 4 or 5 years ago.

I didn't know if no one was bottling it anymore or if it was just really hard to find. I can get Cheerwine and Cherry RC pretty easily now through online vendors or at particular stores in the area everyso often.

Anyone have an idea about this?

It is still being produced by Independent in Charlotte NC. But only 2 liters. There is a Pennsylvania-based grocery chain called Weis Markets that carries the 2 liters.

And... I just found 12 packs online. Expensive at $17.99 (plus shipping), but they are pretty rare.

http://soda-emporium.com/FRESH-12-Pk...-P2518091.aspx

I bought from him when he was selling through Ebay.

Have you seen Hires in Weis recently? The ones I visit don't carry it anymore. Also if anyone is looking for Hires in and around Charlotte you have to really make an effort to look, I never saw any when there this fall but I also did not visit as many grocery stores as I normally would.
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12

My wife purchased 12oz cans here in Des Moines Iowa 3 weeks ago.
    Collector of soda cans - Most wanted can Goody Root Beer

The 2-L bottles of Hires are still being made, but they are hard to find. It seems to be popular along the beach areas in NC and SC. I've seen it at Lowes Foods stores near the NC coast and at a Kroger grocery store in Myrtle Beach, SC. It is not sold in any of the grocery stores in the NC Piedmont area anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by drpep View Post
    Have you seen Hires in Weis recently? The ones I visit don't carry it anymore. Also if anyone is looking for Hires in and around Charlotte you have to really make an effort to look, I never saw any when there this fall but I also did not visit as many grocery stores as I normally would.
    I occasionally service the Weis in Havre De Grace, MD and I know they have it. The distributor is Beverage Network of Maryland, which is actually owned by New Leaf (tea company). They also distribute Vernor's in 2 liters and 6pk cans. They're out of Jessup. I am not sure what else is in their portfolio. I know they did carry Skinny Water until Canada Dry took it, and they've battled in the past with Canada Dry over Fiji water. I remember them also having Dr. Enuf a long time ago.

Interesting. I guess I need to go to Des Moines or to North Carolina pretty soon...

I saw Hires 12 pack cans at Jungle Jim's outside of Cincinnati for $7.99. Production code D4107 0T2 (or OT2) 1802 IA 00425.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drpep1024/14341009394/
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12