Bevboard

Default Welch's Grape soda

Looks like Welch's grape soda is disappearing, I have been seeing Sunkist Grape in place of it in a few locations around here.

I always liked the Welch's, and I believe there was even strawberry and peach (but those two were sold in the Baltimore/DC market).

Maybe Welch's decided to stop licensing their name for soda.

Or, more likely, DPSG has to pay a fee when using the Welch's name.

True, it is cheaper to sell Sunkist than to pay the fees to Welch's to use their name. Like when Pepsi switched from 7Up to Sierra Mist. And why Coke dropped Nestea and went with Fuze (a questionable decision, in hindsight).

Welch's also announced they are partnering with SodaStream to develop sparkling beverages. Perhaps they just wanted a new route to market.

Spotted in Harrisonburg VA last friday

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    True, it is cheaper to sell Sunkist than to pay the fees to Welch's to use their name. Like when Pepsi switched from 7Up to Sierra Mist. And why Coke dropped Nestea and went with Fuze (a questionable decision, in hindsight).

Welch's also announced they are partnering with SodaStream to develop sparkling beverages. Perhaps they just wanted a new route to market.
    Wait..so is coke not doing well with the Fuze line? I thought it might be a hit.

That aside..I saw all the Welch's soda in my area replaced with Sunkist brands today. Tasted the strawberry so far and it tastes very similar to the Welchs. *shrug*

Bought a bottle of Welch's Grape today from a Shell station off I-81 in Inwood, WV. Bottled by Winchester RC. It was on the bottom shelf next to other Sunkist flavors.
    ."Have a f***ing beer!" Pete Townshend 12-12-12

Quote Originally Posted by lordmadone View Post
    Wait..so is coke not doing well with the Fuze line? I thought it might be a hit.
    The Nestea brand name was already well recognized. Fuze was more associated with the fruit-flavored drinks and smoothies. There has been pretty much no advertising with Fuze, it's only really recognized because it is included in our sales, and we have given away free 12 packs (cans and bottles) with the purchase of 3 12 pack cans a few times.

But this week the northeast launched four flavors of Fuze in 16.9oz 6pks, so that may raise the visibility some.