Bevboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by lordmadone View Post
    They were pretty popular but that gave way to 16.9oz which are more expensive per ounce than 24oz bottles. Also, the rip off c-stores which charge $1 per 24 oz bottle will now struggle to find an adequate replacement.
    I don't know how $1 for a 24 oz bottle is a rip off especially when a 20 oz is almost $2 in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by ATownAndrew View Post
    I don't know how $1 for a 24 oz bottle is a rip off especially when a 20 oz is almost $2 in most places.
    The problem is the 24oz 6 pack bottles can be bought by anybody(well..they did) and at a bargain of a price at $2.50 each a lot of times. That is the rip-off. 20oz cases would sell to a customer(grocery store or convenience store) for around 20 bucks. It was hurting the bottling companies because they tried to undercut them by buying the bigger bottles and selling them for a buck or more.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmadone View Post
    The problem is the 24oz 6 pack bottles can be bought by anybody(well..they did) and at a bargain of a price at $2.50 each a lot of times. That is the rip-off. 20oz cases would sell to a customer(grocery store or convenience store) for around 20 bucks. It was hurting the bottling companies because they tried to undercut them by buying the bigger bottles and selling them for a buck or more.
    I see. So it's a rip off from the bottler's perspective, not the consumer's perspective. I can't believe those 20 oz cases get sold to retail for $20.

I see. So it's a rip off from the bottler's perspective, not the consumer's perspective. I can't believe those 20 oz cases get sold to retail for $20.
    More than that, if you can believe it. That's why 20oz are $1.89-$1.99 now.

For something that was supposed to be gone by late February I sure see a lot of this around. Tops is constantly running them in their ad.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

I recently went to Plattsburgh to get Cherry Pepsi. 6pks are still rampant there too.

Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    More than that, if you can believe it. That's why 20oz are $1.89-$1.99 now.
    That makes sense, and even then their not making too much margin on the 20oz bottles. There's a lot more margin on a can being sold for a dollar. I can see why a lot of mom and pop businesses prefer to sell the cans.

24 ounce are still alive and well. I guess they are just burning through the bottles and labels they have left. Though I am only seeing Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mtn Dew and Dr Pepper. Target has had them at $2.50 for a few weeks now.

That makes sense, and even then their not making too much margin on the 20oz bottles. There's a lot more margin on a can being sold for a dollar. I can see why a lot of mom and pop businesses prefer to sell the cans.
    Well the 20oz plastic bottles tend to move a lot faster and have a higher margin than even cans. Consumers overall like to have a resealable beverage if they can. Not to mention that customers(any retail big or small that sells 20oz) get a given price if they buy into a contract or there is specials. I'm sure the case cost is more now for customers as Fusion said but customers were making a tidy 50% + profit on the 20oz alone. Sold them the cases for around 22 or 23 bucks a pop and they were selling(at the time) around $1.69 or $1.79 each. 24 in a case meaning they walk away with about 20 bucks of profit. Then there is the kick back incentives that Pepsi use to run with contracted customers. I had some small format mom and pops pulling home several thousand dollars in bonus checks for each incentive they signed up for. They were making out like crazy on those stupid Brisk tea 1 liters although the profit margins were small for bottlers. Cans individually just do NOT move like plastic bottles do.