Bevboard


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordmadone View Post
    They were pretty popular but that gave way to 16.9oz which are more expensive per ounce than 24oz bottles. Also, the rip off c-stores which charge $1 per 24 oz bottle will now struggle to find an adequate replacement.
    I don't know how $1 for a 24 oz bottle is a rip off especially when a 20 oz is almost $2 in most places.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATownAndrew View Post
    I don't know how $1 for a 24 oz bottle is a rip off especially when a 20 oz is almost $2 in most places.
    The problem is the 24oz 6 pack bottles can be bought by anybody(well..they did) and at a bargain of a price at $2.50 each a lot of times. That is the rip-off. 20oz cases would sell to a customer(grocery store or convenience store) for around 20 bucks. It was hurting the bottling companies because they tried to undercut them by buying the bigger bottles and selling them for a buck or more.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordmadone View Post
    The problem is the 24oz 6 pack bottles can be bought by anybody(well..they did) and at a bargain of a price at $2.50 each a lot of times. That is the rip-off. 20oz cases would sell to a customer(grocery store or convenience store) for around 20 bucks. It was hurting the bottling companies because they tried to undercut them by buying the bigger bottles and selling them for a buck or more.
    I see. So it's a rip off from the bottler's perspective, not the consumer's perspective. I can't believe those 20 oz cases get sold to retail for $20.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    4,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATownAndrew View Post
    I see. So it's a rip off from the bottler's perspective, not the consumer's perspective. I can't believe those 20 oz cases get sold to retail for $20.
    More than that, if you can believe it. That's why 20oz are $1.89-$1.99 now.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Steuben County New York State
    Posts
    1,815

    Default

    For something that was supposed to be gone by late February I sure see a lot of this around. Tops is constantly running them in their ad.
    Whatcha gonna do mama now that the roast beef is gone?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    182

    Default

    I recently went to Plattsburgh to get Cherry Pepsi. 6pks are still rampant there too.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    More than that, if you can believe it. That's why 20oz are $1.89-$1.99 now.
    That makes sense, and even then their not making too much margin on the 20oz bottles. There's a lot more margin on a can being sold for a dollar. I can see why a lot of mom and pop businesses prefer to sell the cans.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    4,790

    Default

    24 ounce are still alive and well. I guess they are just burning through the bottles and labels they have left. Though I am only seeing Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mtn Dew and Dr Pepper. Target has had them at $2.50 for a few weeks now.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATownAndrew View Post
    That makes sense, and even then their not making too much margin on the 20oz bottles. There's a lot more margin on a can being sold for a dollar. I can see why a lot of mom and pop businesses prefer to sell the cans.
    Well the 20oz plastic bottles tend to move a lot faster and have a higher margin than even cans. Consumers overall like to have a resealable beverage if they can. Not to mention that customers(any retail big or small that sells 20oz) get a given price if they buy into a contract or there is specials. I'm sure the case cost is more now for customers as Fusion said but customers were making a tidy 50% + profit on the 20oz alone. Sold them the cases for around 22 or 23 bucks a pop and they were selling(at the time) around $1.69 or $1.79 each. 24 in a case meaning they walk away with about 20 bucks of profit. Then there is the kick back incentives that Pepsi use to run with contracted customers. I had some small format mom and pops pulling home several thousand dollars in bonus checks for each incentive they signed up for. They were making out like crazy on those stupid Brisk tea 1 liters although the profit margins were small for bottlers. Cans individually just do NOT move like plastic bottles do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •