Bevboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As others have pointed out, making a detailed map of soft drink distribution is a tough thing to do. The soft drink distribution networks are so convoluted. What really irks me about this system is that many distributors have rights to certain drinks yet refuse to provide them. Here in the NC Piedmont area, for example, Dr Pepper is really strong and it is distributed by the Pepsi distributor. Coca-Cola Consolidated provides Pibb Xtra as a competitor, yet they refuse to sell Pibb Zero and in many stores do not even provide Pibb Xtra. When contacted, a CCCBC representative told me that Pibb "isn't in demand like Dr Pepper." He added, "if it were up to me, we wouldn't sell Pibb at all." It's almost the same way with Mello Yello. Arrangements like this end up hurting customers because their choices are limited.

What would you guys suggest doing then? I want to create some sort of national list, with aggregate data so that people can all chime in and say what drinks are offered where. The side objective would be that people can arrange soda swaps with others knowing what's available. I wouldn't want to pack up some Fanta Peach, Delaware Punch, Pibb Zero, and Mug Cream and ship it to someone for some weird stuff, when they can get most of the things I send 30 minutes away, and I can get what they send 45 minutes away.

CitrusCola, it seems like your Coca-Cola Consolidated distributor doesn't want to try anything that would require effort. It's almost like saying "why advertise Pibb if Dr Pepper wins most people over?" when the CC-United region directly south of me pushes Pibb by offering it at a cheaper price. "Pick a Pibb" was on a sign at the Piggly Wiggly, where Coca-Cola had a sale for Pibb and Pibb Zero, 2 12-packs for $4. Dirt cheap, but you're attracting the people who want Dr Pepper taste without spending the $4.99 that Pepsi wants to charge. You can essentially get 2 12-packs and a 20-ounce bottle of Pibb for less than Dr Pepper.

Anyone have a true idea on what we can create as far as a list? I'll do the hard work of finding out which drinks are offered in what areas, which would solve the biggest hurdle. Figure out what drinks are available where, what sizes, and if it's a C-store or grocery store. I think that it could be organized by drink first, then counties, then what serving size. Instead of a true map, the list could be searchable if done as an Excel or Google Docs file. Gotta figure out what is the most mobile-friendly as well, but if it can be easily searched, it might work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Any Fanta Cherry over in SLO? If so, I'll drive there this weekend!
    Not since last fall I think, except for a couple of cans I have left at my house. I'll let you know if I see any around though.
    Last edited by ATownAndrew; 05-28-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thesodacave View Post
    What would you guys suggest doing then? ...

CitrusCola, it seems like your Coca-Cola Consolidated distributor doesn't want to try anything that would require effort. ....
    Perhaps a better approach would be to start with a list of hard-to-find soft drinks (Pibb Zero, Double Cola, Ski, Cactus Cooler, etc.) and then build maps or spreadsheets of where those drinks are available.

Yes, CCBCC only wants to deal with the drinks that sell well. From what they've told me, they'd probably be content to just sell the Coke and Sprite varieties. They never promote Pibb or Mello Yello in this area; they say that those drinks are in a "niche market" that isn't worth the cost.