Bevboard

Default Diet Pepsi w/ aspartame returns, Pepsi Max rebranding

Just read that Diet Pepsi with aspartame is being re-introduced. However, it will not replace the current Splenda-sweetened version - instead it will be sold as a separate product called "Diet Pepsi Classic Sweetener Blend". The packaging will feature the light blue color and "Diet Pepsi" fonts from the early 2000s, but the Pepsi globe will still be the modern "smiley" style. Also, the usage of "blend" makes me think it will probably be the Aspartame/Ace-K version, which I thought was the best version, but I don't know if I'd call it "classic", and it didn't coexist with the logo/color scheme they're using. Meanwhile, Pepsi Max is rebranding as "Pepsi Zero Sugar", though there's still small text at the top of the label saying "MAX taste".

While I'm glad Pepsi is bringing the previous formula back, as I liked it a lot more, I don't like the way they're going about it. DP sales were already declining before the sweetener change, and while said change sped up the decline, I can't see there being enough of a market for two different versions of Diet Pepsi (three if you count Max/"Zero Sugar", which also seems like a pointless move). Also, while Pepsi says that the removal of aspartame was a common customer request, I don't think replacing it with another artificial sweetener was what most of these customers had in mind. IMO, if they're going to have two versions of Diet Pepsi, it would make more sense to have a stevia/monk fruit version along with the "classic" aspartame formula.

Maybe this will ultimately go the same way as the attempt to make New Coke/Coke II coexist with Coke Classic, but on a much smaller scale. Or maybe they're hoping that "regular" Diet Pepsi will outsell the alternate niche version, thus eliminating the need for it altogether. Regardless, this just seems like another poorly thought out knee-jerk move. Wasn't "classic" Diet Pepsi supposed to be sold separately online anyway?

Heres a picture

In 2012, I stopped drinking soda altogether.....1 year ago, I finally caved, but I usually just drink diet soda.
    Diet Pepsi tastes horrible now, I prefer Diet Coke the most, interestingly while I think Coke Zero is still better than current Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke still tastes the best, probably because the new coke formula made for a good diet taste.
    Anyways, I will glady have a Diet Pepsi again whenever this aspartame formula comes back.

Oh yea, Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry didn't taste that good to me either, dunno if they changed that.

Also, while I did like the light blue label for diet pepsi (anything is better than drab gray/silver, same with diet coke)
    I would've liked to see this return
    Last edited by PepsiBlue; 06-28-2016 at 11:36 PM.

So, this is like, "damage control" to falling sales? I don't think it will work.

I've said this before here, but to me, Diet Pepsi didn't seem to change much when they changed to sucralose, but I never really cared for it before the change and only really ever drank it out of plastic bottles.

I still miss Pepsi One, but I've learned to tolerate Pepsi Max.

re: that "uh-huh" era logo. Yechh. Never liked that one or the Pepsi from that era. It was the change to that logo that got me into collecting Pepsi stuff from before the early 90s.
    Give me some cane sugar real Pepsi in a glass bottle... and not Throwback!

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    So, this is like, "damage control" to falling sales? I don't think it will work.

I've said this before here, but to me, Diet Pepsi didn't seem to change much when they changed to sucralose, but I never really cared for it before the change and only really ever drank it out of plastic bottles.

I still miss Pepsi One, but I've learned to tolerate Pepsi Max.

re: that "uh-huh" era logo. Yechh. Never liked that one or the Pepsi from that era. It was the change to that logo that got me into collecting Pepsi stuff from before the early 90s.
    I really liked Pepsi One also. I'm not much of a cola drinker but admittedly like Pepsi a hundred times better than Coke. But Pepsi's current logo is a disaster in my opinion and Coke kills them on that one. I thought Pepsi cans/logo looked the best in the 80's.

220px-Pepsi_logo.svg.png

Anyone know when Diet Pepsi classic is coming back?

The only diet drink I've ever been able to stomach is Diet Mountain Dew.

Ironically, the worst diet I've ever tasted was Vault Zero.

My favorite design for Diet Pepsi was the light blue one.

As for Pepsi Max, it looks more like a Coke Zero rip off now.