Bevboard

Default I'm still around!

Hi guys,

I haven't visited here for a long time now but I am still around. Unfortunately my days of being a major soda drinker are over though. After Thanksgiving last year, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes with a fasting glucose of 356 and an A1C of 12%. I had been drinking close to a 12 pack of Pibb Extra a day for a long time and started mixing it with alcoholic beverages and I let things get way out of control.

The dietitian told me I couldn't even drink diet sodas, saying the artificial sweeteners would trick my body into thinking it was sugar but I soon found out that was BS. They are all a bunch of water Nazis as I call them, saying that anything you drink other than water is bad for you. But they did tell me I could drink 1 of those crap tasting Bubble Waters a day, which to me tastes like straight seltzer water no matter what "flavor" it is.

So I now drink 3-4 Diet Cherry Pepsi's a day and along with eating a more healthy diet and taking medication twice a day, my glucose levels are back under 100 on a consistent basis. I do miss my Pibb though and the Pibb Zero is of course nowhere to be found in California, which has to be not only the worst state period in the country but definitely the worst state for soda selection. I also very much enjoy Diet A & W Rootbeer, that is easily the best tasting diet soda I've ever had. I also occasionally get Diet Rite Cola. One thing I do to my diet sodas is mix in one or two drops of liquid Stevia and it makes them taste like regular sodas. But I definitely pound the Diet Cherry Pepsi and even the Cherry Coke Zero even though I despise regular Coca Cola. I am just relieved I can still get the satisfaction of the "fizz" soda provides and not have my blood sugar go through the roof. If they ever brought back Fanta Cherry Soda, I'd have a very hard time not drinking those however, as it was my favorite drink of all time.

Hope you men have all been doing well!

Susan

Glad to hear from you! Yea not many people left, its crazy to think there used to be 2 soda forums I checked out (this and salute to soda) and now it's just down to this.
    Back in 2012 I lost like 150 pounds, completely gave up soda, before this I would drink regular or diet.
    So not drinking soda lasted like 3 years until 2015, when I had a 20oz Diet A&W funny enough, ever since I only drink Diet, well I do have a regular once in a blue moon (I am the opposite of you, I NEED to taste that real coca-cola, especially mexican coke!)
    Lately I have been drinking just Diet Coke, Coke Zero Sugar (I actually like both, they both have their different tastes) or Diet 7up, and well I usually don't buy generic brand (I tried shop rites diet cola, horrible) I actually do like Diet Sam's Cola and its only 57 cents for a 2 liter so I will sometimes get that.
    Also in 2015 when I tried Diet Pepsi I was taken back by how bland it tasted to me, so I was not a fan of the change to sucralose.
    So I am glad Diet Pepsi is back to aspartame, Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi is my favorite CF Diet cola, its so weird how some CF Diet Colas can taste alot worse than Diet Cola with Caffeine.
    But good to hear you are doing good! Sadly I want to lose like 20-40 pounds so perhaps I need a break again. (Currently I am 100 pounds less than what I was in 2012 before the weight loss).

Quote Originally Posted by PepsiBlue View Post
    Glad to hear from you! Yea not many people left, its crazy to think there used to be 2 soda forums I checked out (this and salute to soda) and now it's just down to this.
    Back in 2012 I lost like 150 pounds, completely gave up soda, before this I would drink regular or diet.
    So not drinking soda lasted like 3 years until 2015, when I had a 20oz Diet A&W funny enough, ever since I only drink Diet, well I do have a regular once in a blue moon (I am the opposite of you, I NEED to taste that real coca-cola, especially mexican coke!)
    Lately I have been drinking just Diet Coke, Coke Zero Sugar (I actually like both, they both have their different tastes) or Diet 7up, and well I usually don't buy generic brand (I tried shop rites diet cola, horrible) I actually do like Diet Sam's Cola and its only 57 cents for a 2 liter so I will sometimes get that.
    Also in 2015 when I tried Diet Pepsi I was taken back by how bland it tasted to me, so I was not a fan of the change to sucralose.
    So I am glad Diet Pepsi is back to aspartame, Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi is my favorite CF Diet cola, its so weird how some CF Diet Colas can taste alot worse than Diet Cola with Caffeine.
    But good to hear you are doing good! Sadly I want to lose like 20-40 pounds so perhaps I need a break again. (Currently I am 100 pounds less than what I was in 2012 before the weight loss).
    You can do it! I had gotten up to 150 lbs. before the diabetes diagnosis but down between 125-130 now. I'm only 5'1" so I still need to lose another 10-15 lbs. My boyfriend thinks a breast reduction is what I need but no way am I doing that! LOL The Diet Cherry Pepsi over here still has sucralose in it but no matter what diet drink it is, I put those 1-2 squirts of liquid stevia in it and it taste great. I've even been getting the sugar free Hershey's chocolate syrup, which tastes horrible and put some liquid stevia in that, shake it up real good and it taste great. I make chocolate milk out of it, add some Vodka and it tastes like Bailey's Irish Cream and you don't need to go take out a loan to by a bottle of that stuff! I like getting creative.

It is good to hear from you Pepsi Blue and best of luck with the weight loss. It's never fun but I know you will meet your goals!

Susan