DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND R&D
Our client company is a large privately held manufacturer of branded and private label nutritional and dietary supplement products. These nutraceuticals are produced and distributed to major retail and club chains throughout North America. The corporate headquarters and manufacturing operations are located in the North Dallas area of Texas. The company has earned an outstanding reputation and is committed to making the highest quality products possible and providing world class customer service.
The Director of Product Development and R&D will report to the Senior Vice President of Manufacturing, and will be a key member of the management team. The position will be responsible for leading the development, design, planning and execution of new products and product enhancements that will contribute to the company’s profitable growth.
· Lead and manage all aspects of new and existing product development. This will include formulations, labeling, specifications and regulatory compliance.
· Prepare and execute approved research and development plans and budgets.
· Determine all the processes, specifications, raw materials and packaging resources required to produce the highest quality for existing and new products.
· Evaluate formulations to ensure the highest quality is attained and cost reduction is achieved.
· Establish a structured best practices approach for development from concept to consumer testing to final production.
· Collaborate closely with sales/marketing, manufacturing, finance and other cross functional entities in order to successfully launch and manage the implementation of new products.
· Direct the evaluations of raw materials, suppliers and equipment and serve as the technical expert and resource for product development.
· Develop and maintain a strong relationship with Senior Management to ensure co-operation and credibility within the organization.
· Build, train and motivate a strong team committed to timely new product introductions within budget with the highest standards of quality.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
· At least 10 years of prior experience in the management of the product development/R&D function in the neutraceutical, food or beverage industries.
· Proven experience resulting in developing new products and improvements to existing products from concept to final stage manufacturing including product quality control.
· Must be familiar with Federal Regulations related to hazardous materials, bottled water
and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) for food, drug and nutrition products.
· Strong project management, problem solving and analytical skills.
· Excellent communication skills required for internal meetings and customer presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, hire and manage a highly qualified staff and create an environment where there is a “shared vision” of commitment to product quality and meeting commitments.
- In addition to technical expertise, the candidate must also have a strong business orientation with an understanding of P&L and contribution to the bottom line.
· The proven ability to reduce costs and deliver high quality products and value to the customer.
· Have substantial ‘computer literacy’ in the measuring, tracking and execution of responsibilities in the product development/R&D function.
· Knowledge of the retail-club industry channel (Walmart, Target, Costco, Sams) is desired.
· A Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Biochemistry or a related discipline and a Master of Business Administration is preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The base salary is highly competitive, consistent with the candidate’s qualifications. There is a bonus for the achievement of agreed objectives. The company also provides benefits expected of a tier one company.