As lunch ends on the first day of BevNET Live, the event’s Breakout Sessions begin.
Putting the BevNET Live experience in the hands of experts from key disciplines like marketing, technology, law, hiring, finance, and design, BevNET Live’s Breakout Sessions offer audience members an unparalleled opportunity to drill deeper into specific topics surrounding innovative beverage companies.
Taking place between 2 p.m. and 2:50 p.m. and 3 p.m. and 3:50 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 3, the Breakout Sessions are organized into four separate tracks, although attendees are welcomed to choose to attend any session they like.
No advance registration is required, although a unique Design Workshop will feature questions submitted ahead of time concerning design and packaging issues that will be evaluated by veteran beverage designers Ian McLean (McLean Design) and Dan Matauch (Flowdesign). To submit design topics and questions ahead of time, please contact Jeffrey Klineman.
The sessions are outlined below:
Breakout Sessions, Monday, Dec. 3
(Session One: 2:00 p.m. – 2:50 p.m.; Session Two: 3:00 p.m.- 3:50 p.m.)
Breakout Track 1 — Law and Finance (Palisades A&B):
- Session One: Trademarks, Distribution Contracts, and Investment Deals (with attorneys Nick Giannuzzi, Founder, the Giannuzzi Group LLC; Justin Prochnow, Partner, Greenberg Traurig LLC and Scott Greenburg, Partner, K&L Gates) Hear the latest developments on key legal issues that can affect entrepreneurial beverage companies, including setting up distribution contracts, bringing on investors and avoiding trademark disputes.
- Session Two: Understanding Crowdfunding (with Ben Lee, Director of Business Development, CircleUp; Brian Meece, CEO, RocketHub; Scott Greenburg; Kim Walls, Founder, Episencial) Two models of crowdfunding, an innovative new way of raising start-up capital will be evaluated, and an entrepreneur will discuss her crowdfunding experience.
Breakout Track 2 — The New Rules of Marketing (Palisades C&D):
- Session One: Influencing Purchasing Behavior Online (with Julie Suntrup, SVP, Switch) Switch’s Julie Suntrup explains the keys to building your brand via the web and social media with an eye toward improved sales, not just a better Facebook page.
- Session Two: Experiential + WOM Marketing = Stronger Brand, Bigger Business (with Abe Sorcher and Stuart Sheldon, Co-Founders, Escalate) Experiential and Word-of-Mouth are two cutting-edge techniques to grow brands. Find out how to incorporate these tactics from the founders of Escalate.
Breakout Track 3 — Technology, Innovation and Design(Venice Ballroom):
- Session One: Embracing New Technologies (with Donald Wilkes,CEO, Blue Pacific flavors; Henry R. Hidell, adviser, Tata Global Beverages/President, Blast Max Technologies; Shawn Sugarman, former CEO, Evolution Fresh; Rick Marshall, Director, Hiperbaric USA ) Between dosing caps, new pasteurization methods, flavor advances for protein and other key materials, and new packages, innovative technologies can create a new brand or enhance an existing one — but how do you incorporate them?
- Session Two: Design Workshop (With Ian Mclean, founder, McLean Design; Dan Matauch, founder, Flowdesign) Office hours are open for your design and packaging questions! Discuss labeling and on-shelf strategies and the relationship between marketing and design with these two branding professionals.
Breakout Track 4 — Business Opportunities and Growth (Catalina Ballroom):
- Session One: Understanding Private Label (With Paul Best, Director of Product & Brand Innovation, TopCo) Few beverage entrepreneurs understand the opportunity to build economies of scale, leverage relationships with retailers, and grow their categories that private label can provide — and fewer still know the best way to get it done. Paul Best does, as he has helped TopCo develop nearly $11 billion in private label brands for its 51 member retailing chains. Learn how private label can be an opportunity for growth, not just competition.
- Session Two: Building Sales and Marketing Teams (With Josh Wand, founder, BevForce; Shawn Sugarman; Dan Holland, founder, CYM Management; Greg Fleishman, CMO, Sambazon) In this panel run by ace beverage talent hunter Josh Wand, entrepreneurs will learn the benchmarks for adding professional staff and for hiring from within as their organizations grow. The discussion features a group of highly experienced entrepreneurs, including the former CEOs of Activate (Holland) and Evolution Fresh (Sugarman), as well as from Fleishman, one of the most experienced marketers in the food and beverage business.